Menu

Adult ADHD : How to go about getting tested

trulycrabby

DS13 was diagnosed with ADHD by a pediatric psychiatrist several years ago, and medication has been very helpful. His dad is strongly ADHD, but I never even considered that I might have it too. Well, I took an online test on a psychiatrist's website, and scored very strongly for adult ADHD. I know it's not diagnostic, but I would now like to be evaluated so I can consider treatment options, even if I decide not to take medication.

So, if you have been diagnosed as an adult, how did you get tested and treated? Did you take the TOVA test or something else?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

I started with my primary care doctor, and luckily he was able to handle it for me (this is in a military hospital). After one of my boys was diagnosed, I was reading the symptoms of inattentive ADHD and a light bulb went off. This wasn't something new, the strands of chaos had woven themselves throughout my life since I was a young girl but never recognized. It wasn't until I was 40 and juggling 6 kids plus a bunch of medical appointments that I started dropping medical/financial/social balls enough for it to be a huge issue. I don't remember the name of the test I did, it was over a few appointments. For me, medication was the right route though I'm currently off of it due to pregnancy.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I was tested almost 20 years ago by a doctor who specialized in TOVA testing.  I was already going to a therapist for depression and she suggested the testing after I scored almost all the points possible on her ADD screening checklist.

I would start with a psychiatrist because they can also prescribe medication.  I would start with medication and some good books on ADHD coping strategies.  The medicine can help you be able to have the follow through to do what the books suggest.  If books don't work I'd suggest some sort of coaching to help you set up routines/plans.

• Like 1