Menu

Spanish I plan, need input

My freshman is going to do Spanish I this year.  She has had some exposure to Spanish but no direct instruction.  She is bright and capable, but she has a mild expressive language LD, therefore language isn't her strongest suit.  She currently is planning 4 years of Spanish to be competitive for one of her potential colleges, uncertain if she will do AP but will likely do SAT II subject test for Spanish to show some objective measure of competency.  This was what I was thinking for year 1 but would love some input.

- Breaking the Barrier Spanish iBook - already purchased, like the format (embedded recordings, immediate feedback on exercises, cultural information, etc.), I realize she will need more practice though

- Practice Makes Perfect (which book????) - this is where I hope to get more practice, pencil and paper style, but I am not sure if I should get the Basic, Complete Grammar, or the individual Verbs, Pronouns & Prepositions, etc. books

- Rosetta Stone - already own it from several years ago, gives her some feedback on speaking in a safe (non-critical, not embarrassing) space

- Weekly conversation lab with dad (fluent, non-native speaker) - both DD and DH are looking forward to this

So tell me, which PMP book(s)?

Should I have her build an ANKI (Fluent-Forever style) deck as we go?

Is adding in Duolingo or MindSnacks a distraction or another arrow in the quiver to slay the Spanish dragon?

ETA: Is there something else I am missing or should be using instead??

Edited by Targhee

DS is going to use Breaking the Barrier for 9th grade Spanish as well. He has had some prior instruction, but took last year off from languages.

He'll create some flashcards to use; he may or may not do Duolingo, I haven't decided yet. Second semester he'll start some conversational Spanish with a friend of mine.

I'm contemplating getting a subscription to News in Slow Spanish.

We used Duolingo and loved it. Totally worth doing. After that mine used Memrise.

You could probably do 2-3 PMP books in a year. I'd start with basic or grammar. Or replace them with Madrigal's Magic Key.

No Anki or Rosetta experience.

• Like 1

Search for conguguemos.com. It's a great way to practice verb conjugation.

You might also search quizlet for lists to use to practice vocab through games, flashcards, or quizzes. If you do, double check spelling before she uses it. You can copy lists and then adapt or correct them to fit your needs.

• Like 1

Search for conguguemos.com. It's a great way to practice verb conjugation.

You might also search quizlet for lists to use to practice vocab through games, flashcards, or quizzes. If you do, double check spelling before she uses it. You can copy lists and then adapt or correct them to fit your needs.

Of course, Quizlet - DS uses this for Latin, and we have used it in the past for Science Olympiad. The format is so much more user friendly than ANKI. Then again, ANKI has the spaced repetition algorithm that makes it so effective. Hmm.. Either way, thanks for the reminder!

I just discovered congugemos.com - what a great resource. How do you schedule this in - time frame? Practice certain things?

We used Duolingo and loved it. Totally worth doing. After that mine used Memrise.

You could probably do 2-3 PMP books in a year. I'd start with basic or grammar. Or replace them with Madrigal's Magic Key.

No Anki or Rosetta experience.

I haven't heard of Memrise before - I will go look into it. Thanks for the suggestions on the PMP books.

Meant to add: There are all sorts of youtube videos in Spanish - from easy stories to Destinos (a soap opera).

Good point - lots of listening exposure. She rather dislikes social dramas, so I am not sure how well she will engage and learn from the Telenovela style. The News in Slow Spanish sounds interesting. I imagine that if I put on Sherlock or Dr Who in Spanish she'd be very interested ;-P

• Like 1