Menu

Latin Questions for a 7 year old - Take a course with a local teacher or curriculum??

mhblue5

Hi there,

I just found this board and am new to posting. I have been thinking about Latin courses for my 7 year old. There is a Latin class that is at our local library which will cost $35/month for 1 hour a week. I've been debating if it would be worthwhile to purchase a curriculum instead. Maybe get more bang for my buck (I also have a younger child I will be homeschooling in the future).

My major concern is I do not have any Latin experience and obviously do not have the accent so I'd love any input or ideas anyone would have for me as to whether an actual class might be better or purchase a curriculum (also, could you recommend a few) would be best.

Thank you for your help!

Cris

One possibility would be to ask if you could sit in on classes (quietly, out of the way)... You might find that after doing that for a while, you would feel more comfortable approaching the subject yourself (for both of your children).

I would also be asking what materials the class teacher will be using and what your child will be learning in the class. Is the class more focused on vocabulary and memorization, or Roman culture? Will it be bookwork or hands-on projects? How does the class fit with what you *want* for this particular child at this time?

And will you be as likely to do Latin at home with a curriculum you bought as you would be to get your child to class every week? ;)

I don't think there's one right answer here. It might be a fabulous class where your child learns things you're not really able to teach and has a fabulous time and gets a great foundation for later study. Or it might be a middling class and you might do a phenomenal job introducing Latin at home. And there are several good programs for young students...

Good luck with the decision!

I'd say go for teaching yourself. We used Prima Latina our first year, and it was such a gentle introduction. You could easily work through it with your child; no prior knowledge of latin needed. If after this year, you wish to continue your studies, you might consider working slightly ahead of your child.

Good luck with whatever decision you come to.

AllSmiles :)

BTW, I've used both Prima Latina and Minimus (that one several times through while teaching classes), and can recommend either one depending on your current goals. What I have seen of Lively Latin is certainly promising, and I haven't seen Sing Song Latin yet. I would not use Latin's Not So Tough -- I think it's vastly inferior to those other programs.

Whether you start now would also depend, for me, on how well prepared your student is academically. I'm all for starting Latin early, but not if the child is still working on fluency in reading English. If that's the case, I would wait a bit longer.

I tutor elementary Latin students, and I ask the parents to tell me their goals before they hire me. I ask them to picture their graduating high school senior: what level of competence in Latin should that person have? Then I can outline for them what they need to do to get there - and it may not include hiring me!

So that's the big question to ask youself: What are my long-term goals for Latin?

Once you've determined that, the next question is: When does my child need to begin Latin to reach those goals? And then: Do I, the parent, have the time to learn Latin alongside my dc, and if not, am I willing to be dependent on this teacher long-term, or to find another if this one is no longer available?

If you've decided that you want your dc to start Latin now and you want to outsource the subject, then you can ask: What would this teacher's class consist of? What materials are used? Once the class was finished, would I be able to segue into another curriculum easily? Are there other teachers in the area who could pick up where this one left off?

I know that sounds like a lot of bother to go to in thinking about one class for your 7yo! But I see a lot of people jump into Latin without really thinking about why they're doing it and without "counting the cost" in terms of their own teaching/learning commitment, their kid's time, and the possible need for and availability of good teachers down the road.

HTH!