Menu

Kitchen backsplash tile

skimomma

We are getting ready to tile the backsplash in our kitchen.  This is a sorely overdue job.  I cook a LOT and it seem to be impossible to keep the painted drywall clean.  Hence, the tile idea.  So I am sitting here with tile samples all over the place trying to figure out what I want.  I know for sure that I want a subway tile shape.  I have narrowed down the color/types based on how I like to look of them.  Now I am seeking advice on whether any of them will be more or less difficult to keep clean looking.  We have a plain ceramic tile with gloss finish, a clear glass tile, and a frosted glass tile all in the same color.

I like the frosted glass the best.  The tile shop warned me that it can smudge, especially with oily substances.  So, I dripped drops of all sorts of kitchen stuff on the sample tile they gave me and it appears that everything has wiped off just fine with a plain wet washcloth. 

The clear glass tile is my second choice.  The tile shop told me that those streak and get smudgy easily.  Again, I experimented and again, plain water seems to clean everything off with a shiny finish just fine.

The plain ceramic tile is my fallback.  The tile shop recommended this as the best option.  But it is not my favorite.

Can anyone who has any of the above tile types in a kitchen weigh in with your experiences?

I have plain white subway tile.  I have had it 5 years and it is easy to clean and there are no stains on it.

I am replacing it with the same or similar.  We just got new cabinets so I have to redo.

I do like the idea of the glass though!  

I am contemplating the same issue for a hoped-for kitchen update. Because I seem to have a special talent for spattering red sauce specifically on grout lines, I'm thinking of doing a solid surface matching the countertop directly behind the stovetop up to the hood, then tile around the rest. I think glass tiles are pretty.

See, I haven't had any issues keeping my paint clean.  We renovated with the intention of adding a backsplash later and here we are 3 years later with no backsplash.  I painted the kitchen with a 3 coats of high quality semi-gloss paint and everything just wipes straight off!  Remember, even with tile, you're still gonna have to clean it so go with what is going to clean the easiest!