Menu

World History Spine Question

Hi everyone,

I'm going crossed eyed trying to research world history spines online for my 9th grader this year.

I have a couple books already, but I'm trying to figure out if what I have will hit the mark.  These are the books I have:

The Human Odyssey (K12), volumes 1 and 2 (with the student pages and teacher guides), and,

Ways of the World (Strayer), 2nd edition (textbook only...will need to find teacher's guide, if available).

I need a solid text and accompanying teacher's guide with answers to questions, and tests, if available.  (I can make the tests myself, if needed.)

The problem I'm having with the HO (K12) is it ends at 1914!  For those of you who use this, what do you use as an extender of sorts, to finish?

I have Glencoe World History (Spielvogel) in my Amazon cart right now and while it's not very expensive, I feel like I should use one of the two other books I already own.  Is getting Spielvogel's World  History worth it? 

Thank you in advance for any insight or suggestions you have!  I need to make a decision...I'm running out of time.

Pam K

HO1 and 2 are *not* high school level texts.  HO3 is a 9th grade text (and goes from 1914-roughly present).  Ways of the World is a college text.  Spielvogel's World History is terrible, IMO.

There is a high school level world history text from K12 called World History: Our Human Story.  It is a single volume adaptation of HO to make it high school level.  

If your student has a solid background in world history and is ready for a college level text, I'd recommend Ways of the World.  It is very well written.  If he doesn't and isn't, I'd go with World History: Our Human Story.  I wouldn't touch the Spielvogel book with a ten foot pole.

• Like 1

Agreeing with EKS — the first 2 volumes of HO are used in K12's 7th & 8th grade classes. Volume 3 is used in 9th grade, but there are no student & teacher guides available for that volume. If you like the style of those books, I would go with K12's high school text, Our Human Story.

• 3 weeks later...

All good to know...thanks!

I didn't know there was a 3rd volume for HO, although I suspected it since the 2nd volume ends at 1914. 

I'm trying to purchase K12's Our Human Story but I can't figure out how to purchase the books and not the entire course.  Does anyone have any insight into buying the materials and not enrolling in the course?  I would very much appreciate any help with this!

Since I already own Ways of the World (and if getting K12's text isn't possible), is there an instructor manual for Ways of the World?  If there is and someone reading this owns it, may I buy it from you?

Again, thanks for any help you can give me...I've been at this for a while now and time is ticking away! lol

Pam

Ok, so I have found several copies on eBay, so I can purchase K12's Human Story text easily it would seem.

So here's my next question:

For many of these texts, there doesn't seem to be instructor's manuals, test books, answer keys, etc.  Do you read the text with your student and write out tests or comp questions?  If not, what is done besides the reading/discussions?

Again, thank you for any insight you can give!

Pam

You can just use essays as output — either topics you assign or topics the student chooses. We used a lot of Great Courses / Teaching Company courses for history, and I just had DS choose some of the discussion questions for short essays, and then choose a couple of topics for longer essays or papers.

If you want something really simple and straightforward and don't mind PS texts, McDougal's World History: Patterns of Interaction has a Formal Assessment volume that's fairly cheap and easy to find. It has tests for every chapter and all the answers are in the back. If you have a Mac or iPad, there's also an iBooks version of the text that includes videos and web links for $15.

• Like 1