Menu

Elementary US Geography

IvyInFlorida

I think this may be wishful thinking on my part, but...

Can y'all recommend a US geo curriculum or approach for my almost 8 year old son?  He is so full of questions about our US map on the wall, such as, "how big REALLY is the Mississippi?  Like how long would it take to go down it?  Is Alaska bigger than Texas?  What is a great lake really?  How come Nevada is shaped so funny?" etc.  Now we do discuss or look up the answers to these questions but I was thinking he might benefit from/enjoy a systematic-ish exploration of US geography. 

What we already do: The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, and Evan Moor Daily Geography Grade 3, plus Shephard Software online stuff and discussing maps whenever we're doing history or reading aloud. 

What won't work: well, he's dyslexic and ADHD...also, we just don't have enough room in our daily schedule for lit-based approaches.  I am passionate about read-alouds, which means we already do too many!!

What would be awesome: video-based?  Like short documentaries about US geography topics?  I could add mapping to it...

I have this bad feeling I will have to cobble my own stuff together, blah...

Highlights has an interesting geography series with a magazine for each state. They include a map, state facts, stories, puzzles, and so forth. The biggest drawback is it can be a bit expensive to get the entire set, compared to other geography programs. On the other hand, it's a lot of fun for the kids and they learn something about each state without it feeling like schoolwork, and I've never met an 8-year-old yet that didn't love getting mail addressed specifically to them.

That's the only resource I know of that specifically deals with only U.S. geography, but I'm sure there are others I'm not aware of.

• Like 1

Leagues and Legends from veritas press is pretty fun for that age (but it isn't a video).

Homeschool buyers co-op had a free summer subscription to Clever Dragon and my son has loved it so much. He especially loves the US geography.

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

Galloping The States came to mind but I'm not sure how lit based it would be. We are doing Galloping The Globe now and DS really likes it. There's usually some information and coloring and some little projects. I supplement with a lot of books but I'm not sure how much lit is in the state version. Whatever you end up using you could consider their state cookbook supplement. Mine have really enjoyed the food aspect in the world one.