Menu

Darn. The Second Stitch Fix - UPDATED: #36; Got 3rd Fix

Ginevra

How often do you get these boxes? 

I happen to be going through an "I hate every piece of clothing in my closet" phase at the moment, and I also find shopping for myself extremely frustrating and depressing. So, I have my moments when I find the fantasy of this kind of service appealing. But, especially at the prices per item that I've seen mentioned here, I can't imagine buying more than a few pieces a year. So, the idea of having a box of five or more items arriving every month or two, only to have to send all or most of it back, doesn't seem like something that would alleviate my irritation.

• Like 1

How often do you get these boxes?

I happen to be going through an "I hate every piece of clothing in my closet" phase at the moment, and I also find shopping for myself extremely frustrating and depressing. So, I have my moments when I find the fantasy of this kind of service appealing. But, especially at the prices per item that I've seen mentioned here, I can't imagine buying more than a few pieces a year. So, the idea of having a box of five or more items arriving every month or two, only to have to send all or most of it back, doesn't seem like something that would alleviate my irritation.

You choose the frequency you desire, and you can alter that at any time. Mine is set for monthly at the moment because I haven't had regular clothes that I really love in a long whiile. You can set it for every other month or quarterly, or possibly twice yearly. The pieces are somewhat expensive per item, I'm not gonna lie. I'm a frugal gal and this is very different from what I generally do. But, like many other things, I am paying for the convenience of not having to shop. Also, if you do buy the whole box, you get a decent discount that amounts to basically one piece free.

When you do need to send things back, as irritating as that is, it is nevertheless super easy. The box comes with a big return envelope that is pre-posted. So all you have to do it stick the duds in the envelope, seal it, and put it in any postal box within three days of delivery. If I had to pay for postage or have it weighed, it would be too much of a deterrant.

Having had one total dud box, one perfect box and one very good box, I am currently VERY happy with this service. The dud box was disappointing, but this awesome box totally corrected that. The problem I've always had with acquiring clothes is that I know what I want in my head but I have no idea where to go to find those things. So I wander around the mall, walking into stores, not finding the right things, or right thing wrong size, or whatever, growing more discouraged and unhappy by the minute. I often buy clothes on-line, because it helps cut down on that, since I can search for "denim jacket" or "fit and flare dress," but then if I have to return them, I have to go to the post office and in some cases, pay for shipping.

It's working for me at the moment. 😊

I've always been curious about Stitch Fix. Can they send outfits, rather than just pieces? I stink at putting outfits together.

Each fix comes with a little card showing two outfits for each piece. Sometimes, the card may show one of the pieces and how it goes together with another piece from the fix. I don't know for certain, but I imagine you could request it as an outfit. You could say, "I want a fall outift with jeans and some kind of plaid top, and maybe a jacket or sweater to go with it." And then describe your absolute NOs, like, "No jeans with rips in them," or "No cardigans that come down to my calf." Then you could see what happens. I would imagine they would send you something that can be made into an outfit, with, say, two different tops. And they would still send the cards showing outfit possibilties with those pieces.

ETA: I was just at Stitch Fix and I see that you can choose a theme for your fix. One of the theme choices is "Complete Outfit." So yes, you could do the fix this way. (Other theme choices are: Casual Workwear, Date Night, Vacation, All Denim, and All Tops.)

Edited by Quill