Menu

Robotics recommendations?

displace

DS9 wants to be an inventor. ATM he has expressed interest in learning some robotics.

Is there a recommendation of a starter robotics kit? He does love Legos but the interest is starting to wane somewhat. I saw vex robotics, and I wasn't sure if that was a better option than the big Lego robotics.

Any recs for or against any kits?

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=uhura+lego+robotics+site%3Awelltrainedmind.com&oq=uhura+lego+robotics+site%3Awelltrainedmind.com&…

I was just reading a thread where Uhura posted. I don't even know if she still posts. Don't forget to google site search. 

I think there are some newer alternatives that are the low priced kind of intro things. We got a K'nex robotics kit but haven't done anything with it, sigh. Ds did his 2nd summer of lego robotics camp. Personally, I think what he does is pretty immature, ie. he's young. He enjoys a level of simplicity with it that would work with any $30 programmable new dorky little thing on the market. Like I think starting with something like that (dorky, cheap) and moving up would be fine. Also you can look at Scratch.

• Like 1

Is he mainly looking for programming or building a physical robot?

We have Edison robots (meetedison.com).  They are relatively inexpensive, are Lego compatible, can be used with Fire Tablets (so that parts less expensive than needing computers or ipads), they have lesson plans for Scratch-based programming and Python-based programming.  They also have a forum where people post various projects they have done with them.

• Like 2