Menu

What level of Saxon after MUS?

Lori in MS

My son will be in 7th grade next year. He will have completed MUS Zeta and Singapore 5b. Which level of Saxon would be right for him? 8/7?

You could go to the Saxon Math website and take the placement exam.

http://saxonhomeschool.harcourtachieve.com/HA/resourcelist.aspx?ca=Placement+Tests&SRC1=37&SRC5=saxonhomeschool&SRC6=HSMath&SRC7=HS_02_Math48

Lori,

I'd look at the placement test too. I know my oldest finished Zeta in her 5th grade year and then did Singapore 4B, 5A, 5B, 6A, 6B and finished with that in 6th grade. She's in 7th grade now.

long story short...... even though she placed higher than Saxon 8/7 homeschool edition with pre algebra, we ended up using 8/7 anyway. And we're glad to be in it. It is meeting some of our other goals as well for our math smart kid.

some of the rest of the story in our decision: We took 2 different Saxon placement tests. In one of them, she placed in Alg. I. In the one that is linked above she ended up placing into Alg 1/2. So we knew that we didn't really want to go higher than Alg 1/2. We got 1/2 and started it (with DIVE cd's). But something in me kept wondering about it. I saw that Saxon seems to recommend that students who do 8/7 end up skipping 1/2. So we decided that maybe we would just use 8/7 and let her work more independently and learn to take test and then skip 1/2 next year and go into Alg. I.

-crystal