Menu

Recipes With Cooked Pears or What To Do With Mealy Pears

Lady Florida.

Choosing pears has always given me trouble. No matter how "correctly" I choose them they're always a crap shoot. For that reason I rarely buy pears. However, the other day I wanted something different and decided to try again with pears. I got a mix of Bartlett and Bosc (the only varieties available). I tried one of the Bartletts and while it has a decent flavor, the texture is awful. I don't even want to try the Bosc because I don't want to waste another one. I thought maybe I could get around the problem by cooking them.

Do you have any recipes with cooked pears that you like? It can either be a main dish, side dish, or dessert, but we're not big dessert eaters. Alternatively, can you think of anything else I can do besides cook them, to make the texture a non-issue? If amount matters I have 4 - two of each variety.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I have been using some "past its prime" fruit lately in smoothies, including a watermelon losing its texture, mushy plums, and some apples getting pretty old. They work great for that. Also, cooked apple things, like applesauce or apple butter should translate pretty well with pears, I would think.

Pear sauce is lovely. Way better than applesauce.

Easiest prep if you don't want texture st all is to food process them and make them part of a muffin. A little extra sugar and some fat will help, but any bran or oatmeal muffin recipe goes beautifully with pear.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I really like cooked (or raw) pears in oatmeal, with a little cinnamon and brown sugar.   Yum :)

You can make a wonderful dessert called a clafouti using pears, cherries, etc.  It's an egg-based dessert.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pear-clafouti-recipe-1944511

You can also mix the pears with other fruits, such as apples, for something like a pear/apple cobbler.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/ginas-pear-and-apple-cobbler-recipe-1922427  

• Like 1