Menu

Bad Habit or Time Saver?

Holding two checkout lines with your child(ren)  

1. 1. Holding two checkout lines with your child(ren)

• Ugh, that is so rude. I wouldn't do it.
    • Yes, I do it but I always feel guilty when I do.
    • Yes, I have no problem with it.
    • Other

it's not rude at all imo.... if the other line moves faster and we leave one line, the people behind are no worse for the wear....they get to be one up from where they thought they were.

it's not as if we're using up *checkout* time we wouldn't have. just *standing* space.

K

i agree. to me it's simply compensating for which line is more efficient about checking out; this can vary as to whether it's cashier or self-check out. i do have my own ethics about it. i don't do it if i have a very full cart. that would be inconsiderate to me because i do choose lines according to how much people have in their carts. i also don't wait until the very last minute to decide to combine lines.

this brings up one of my personal "Nevers!" when i was a kid, i hated it when my mom left me in line while she got stuff. for whatever reason, i was so terrified that she wouldn't be back in time. my heart would start racing and i'd break out in a sweat. totally irrational as she always got back and nothing awkward ever happened but i lived with the fear that it might. consequently, i swore i'd never leave my kid in line like that. actually, now that he's 15, i will but it's because i've taught him and he's mature enough to know to simply let the person in back of him go on ahead. but i still feel guilty when i ask him to do this favor. funny how our fears haunt us!

t's not as if we're using up *checkout* time we wouldn't have. just *standing* space.

That's not true for the people behind the person who was standing without a cart. Those people "sized up" their line by carts, people, items, etc. To have a cart with a family's worth of stuff come in front of them will take up *checkout* time they did not anticipate before they chose the line.

The people getting in line behind your kids (if you have the cart) are basing their decision, in part, on the fact that those in front don't have much to check out. Then when you jump over there with your cart, I'd bet they're not too happy.

I don't imagine there are many of us who haven't thought of one last item and run to get it while leaving an older child with the cart. I don't think most people would consider that rude.