Menu

Ground Floor/Remediation Help for 9th Grader

Hello, I've decided to bring my daughter home for her high school years because I feel like she's seriously fallen between the cracks in public school. I don't even know how she was getting the grades she did get because she needs so much help in the basics and I feel so ashamed that I didn't realize how much she was struggling before. So, now I need to play some serious catch up.

She does want very much to go to college and become either an ethical hacker or something to do with crime scene investigation. She likes to joirnal but her writing is very immature for her age I feel. She needs serious help in writing, math and reading. She can read but not as well as she would like or as well as I think she should be able to read. She does not like to read at all but that may be because of the reading difficulties.

I really need help in making a plan that will catch her up and lay solid foundations as well as get her ready for college. She's willing to work year round if necessary and just really wants "to feel smart and not struggle anymore". I don't think there are any learning disabilities at the moment. She went to a school where wrong answers were marked with stars and happy faces because "she tried". She's a very creative, artistic person who learns better visually.

So far I've looked at these products for this year. Can you help me construct a plan for her? I'm not sure what's too much or what will help. Please feel free to suggest things that aren't on the list. We want to begin as soon as whatever I order arrives. Thank you so much!

English:

-Fix It Grammar

-Jensen's Punctuation

-Killgallon (middle school books)

-Movies as Literature

-Writing with Ease

-Phonics Pathways

Math:

- Lial's BCM

- Not sure what else for actual algebra.

- Also need something to really cement math facts because she has trouble retaining those.

I think we will be ok for history and science and electives. Thank you once again for your help!

Hello, I've decided to bring my daughter home for her high school years because I feel like she's seriously fallen between the cracks in public school. I don't even know how she was getting the grades she did get because she needs so much help in the basics and I feel so ashamed that I didn't realize how much she was struggling before. So, now I need to play some serious catch up.

She does want very much to go to college and become either an ethical hacker or something to do with crime scene investigation. She likes to joirnal but her writing is very immature for her age I feel. She needs serious help in writing, math and reading. She can read but not as well as she would like or as well as I think she should be able to read. She does not like to read at all but that may be because of the reading difficulties.

I really need help in making a plan that will catch her up and lay solid foundations as well as get her ready for college. She's willing to work year round if necessary and just really wants "to feel smart and not struggle anymore". I don't think there are any learning disabilities at the moment. She went to a school where wrong answers were marked with stars and happy faces because "she tried". She's a very creative, artistic person who learns better visually.

So far I've looked at these products for this year. Can you help me construct a plan for her? I'm not sure what's too much or what will help. Please feel free to suggest things that aren't on the list. We want to begin as soon as whatever I order arrives. Thank you so much!

English:

-Fix It Grammar

-Jensen's Punctuation

-Killgallon (middle school books)

-Movies as Literature

-Writing with Ease

-Phonics Pathways

Math:

- Lial's BCM

- Not sure what else for actual algebra.

- Also need something to really cement math facts because she has trouble retaining those.

I think we will be ok for history and science and electives. Thank you once again for your help!

For math, another option is Teaching Textbooks.  It's self-teaching, self-grading, open-and-go.  Have her take the placement test.  Since she's so motivated, she should be able to move forward fairly quickly.

Are you thinking about starting with WWE book 1?  She might find it babyish.  Have her look at some samples first.  

In what ways is she struggling with her writing?  How's her spelling?  Grammar?  Handwriting?   

I think I would use CLE placement tests (free, downloadable) to see where she actually places in math and English. Go from there. You might find that she has significant gaps. Algebra is going to be a bear if she does--better to remediate and then move forward.

As far as English goes, I don't think I would go the WWE/WWS route. I have done it with one of mine, but I wonder if IEW's SWI-C might be a better route for this year.

• Like 1