Menu

Coffee withdrawals?

About two weeks ago, I stopped drinking coffee, and began drinking tea instead. I feel like I can't get out of my own way. I get tired when there is a change in seasons, but maybe it's the fact that I've given up coffee.

Has anyone else experienced tiredness after quitting coffee?

(I drink strong coffee - from a French Press. One large cup a day.)

I drank one cup and day, and when I gave it up I felt awful....headache and fatigue...for about two weeks. I stopped all caffeine cold turkey, though, and only went back to one cup of tea once I was over the coffee withdrawl. These days if I miss my cuppa, I don't feel the physical symptoms that I used to if I missed my coffee.

Good luck! You have my sympathy!

Ria

About two weeks ago, I stopped drinking coffee, and began drinking tea instead. I feel like I can't get out of my own way. I get tired when there is a change in seasons, but maybe it's the fact that I've given up coffee.

Has anyone else experienced tiredness after quitting coffee?

(I drink strong coffee - from a French Press. One large cup a day.)

I get tired and irritable, and I have nasty headaches at about midafternoon every day. Oh, and I sleep badly. Weird, that... All of that passes in a couple weeks though. One (normal sized) cup of coffee is enough to prevent it, but half-caff or tea isn't...

I get tired and irritable, and I have nasty headaches at about midafternoon every day. Oh, and I sleep badly. Weird, that... All of that passes in a couple weeks though. One (normal sized) cup of coffee is enough to prevent it, but half-caff or tea isn't...

Yes! I have not been able to sleep as well, which is something I did not expect. :001_huh:

Yes! I have not been able to sleep as well, which is something I did not expect. :001_huh:

I have my coffee entirely before noon, and I think it becomes part of my daily rhythm. Wake up, perk up with coffee, and then ease back down over the course of the next 8-10 hours until bedtime.

But if you're cutting out the coffee intentionally (and I assume you are or you wouldn't bother! LOL), I do think it will get better in a couple weeks. I plan to stick with my coffee habit because aside from the withdrawal headaches, I have a long-standing tendency to get migraines, that only shows up when I'm not drinking coffee. It's not the withdrawal headache, but a tendency that regular coffee drinking seems to prevent. So we'll say it's for medicinal purposes. :D

If I hand't JUST done the same thing myself, I would not have the nerve to repeat my hubby's words to me, but believe it or not, alot of it truly "in your head." (don't hate me!!)

I have been an AVID coffee and coke drinker for YEARS!!!!! Started having problems with fibroids so doc told me to cut back and/or quit altogether. I'm one of those "all or nothing" type people, so cutting back wasn't an option for me.

Alot of us (me, included!) have the mindset that we can't survive without the caffeine. In all actuality, though, the darker the roast coffee you drink, the LESS caffeine is in it (I work at Starbucks ~ that was in our training). The French and Italian roasts have a stronger flavor but actually have less caffeine than your typical house blends. Funny, huh??

Anyway, if you get COMPLETELY off caffeine, it should only take about 2-3 days (per my doc) to get over the hump. It took me about 5.

One thing to keep in mind, too ~ ALOT of teas have caffeine!! Chai Tea has almost 5 TIMES the caffeine per cup than typical coffee!!

My biggest problem wasn't really tiredness, but the headaches from the withdrawals.

You will definitely have some sort of "withdrawal" symptoms. Caffeine is just as much a "drug" as anything else. Just try to keep your mind off of it. When you get tired, find something to do. It will pass.

Good Luck!

Tammie in LA :blush: