Menu

Nature-How To Draw Books

Have you ever looked at the Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling and the Laws Guide to Drawing Birds? They are not technically written for kids, but they do have several step-by-step drawings in them which I think even middle elementary kids could manage. Plus the books are beautifully done and full of insights about art and nature journaling in general, as well as tons of inspiration.

I'm planning to start one with my DS11 this summer :-)

Oh, we also like Nature Anatomy. That one is less artistic than the Laws Guide, with simpler line drawings (more like 2D cartoon style, but not in a silly way). It is good for basic imitative drawing though, which I think is very helpful. The simplicity of the drawings is an interesting lesson in itself, showing how just a few lines can represent something that seems "hard to draw". There are no drawing lessons in it, but the illustrations are usually simple enough to deconstruct (especially if you were sitting drawing with your kids and they could copy you).

I'd also strongly suggest adding in some daily Mark Kistler's Draw Squad or Mark Kistler videos (or even more basic for pre-k/kinder/1st grade: The Big Yellow Drawing Book, by the man who trained Mark Kistler) to practice developing eye/hand for drawing. :) Even though his books are "cartoon" type of drawing initially, it really helps you develop your ability to see, and to draw 3-D, and then Kistler encourages you that it is pretty easy to then move over to more realistic drawing.

Very beginner:

Draw Plus Science (Levin)

Ralph Masiello's Bug Drawing Book

Draw-Write-Now: Animals and Habitats book 6 (Hablitzel & Stitzer)

Draw-Write-Now: Animals of the World book 7 (Hablitzel & Stitzer)

Medium beginner:

How To Draw Birds (Green)

How to Draw Plants (Offir)

How to Draw Flowers (Levy)

How to Draw Insects (Levy)

How to Draw Forest Animals (Levy)

MUCH more detailed/advanced:

Draw Insects (DuBosque)

Draw 50 Birds (Ames)

Draw 50 Flowers, Trees, and Other Plants (Ames)

Draw 50 Creepy Crawlies (Ames) -- insects and arachnids

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

Have you ever looked at the Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling and the Laws Guide to Drawing Birds? They are not technically written for kids, but they do have several step-by-step drawings in them which I think even middle elementary kids could manage. Plus the books are beautifully done and full of insights about art and nature journaling in general, as well as tons of inspiration.

I'm planning to start one with my DS11 this summer :-)

There's a free pdf of a selection of John Muir Law's stuff here.

http://www.cnps.org/cnps/education/curriculum/

You might have to give them your email address, though.

• Like 1