Menu

Elementary/Middle Book Club

Hi ladies! I'm teaching "book club" in our co-op in the fall. I will have an age range of 2nd-8th grade. I plan on picking 3 or 4 books at different levels. Each week we will do a lesson on a literary element and then they can work on storyboards in small groups.

I need help choosing books!! Any ideas that would work for this scenario??

How about:

1.  A Wrinkle in Time (Upper Elementary) and When You Reach Me (middle school)

2.  Island of the Blue Dolphins (Elementary) and Nim's Island (Middle school)

3.  Animal Farm (elementary) and Lord of the Flies (middle) - this pairing may be a bit of a stretch. 

Hope this helps. 

Check out "Help pairing books for different levels but same unit study" -- WTM member mom31257 runs a co-op each year and has done something similar to your related books for an Elementary/Middle Book Club. :) (To see her final selection: post #13 of "Want to help me plan a mystery".)

How about:

1.  A Wrinkle in Time (Upper Elementary) and When You Reach Me (middle school)

2.  Island of the Blue Dolphins (Elementary) and Nim's Island (Middle school)

3.  Animal Farm (elementary) and Lord of the Flies (middle) - this pairing may be a bit of a stretch. 

Hope this helps. 

Love your first 4 titles as good co-op books. :)

But Lord of the Flies -- yikes! Definitely one for late high school for most students due to intense theme of basic fallen nature of man seen through a group of shipwrecked children who devolve into a dystopic state of barbarism and cruelty, and end up killing two children, hunting a third, and burning down the island.

And Animal Farm might work for late middle school, or it might fall really flat. It is an easy read -- but there is so much historical/political context needed for discussing it that you might want to wait until students have had some Modern/20th century history. Or be ready to provide that as part of the class. Just my limited experience -- I did Animal Farm 2 years ago in a grade 7-12 Lit. & Comp. co-op class, and while all of the students enjoyed it, the high schoolers got more out of it and had more discussion/thoughts...

Adding to desertflower's island/survival theme-books:

- Cecily's Summer (Lincoln) -- gr. 1-2

- Pippi in the South Seas (Lindgren) -- gr. 3-5

- Baby Island (Brink) -- gr. 3-5

- Nim's Island (Orr) -- gr. 3-5

- The Cay (Taylor) -- gr. 4-6

- Call it Courage (Armstrong) -- gr. 5-7

- Island of the Blue Dolphins (O'Dell) -- gr. 6-8

- Swiss Family Robinson (Wyss) -- gr. 6-8

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1