Menu

Course descriptions for PAH AP classes?

I pull straight from the PAH course descriptions, but I tend to make them shorter.

AP Statistics (1 credit) – This online class is taught by Carole Matheny through PA Homeschoolers in 2015-2016. This course is a college level introductory statistics course in which students learn to collect, organize, analyze and interpret data. The broad conceptual themes are exploring data, producing models using probability and simulation, experimental design, and statistical inference.

Text: The Practice of Statistics 4th edition by Daren Starnes, Dan Yates, and David Moore.

AP Calculus BC (1 credit) – This online class is taught by Susan Gilleran through PA Homeschoolers in 2015-2016. This course prepares students for the AP Calculus BC Exam and is equivalent to one year of college calculus.  This class goes beyond the AB course, covering additional techniques of integration, solving logistical differential equations, venturing into the world of parametric equations, polar coordinates and graphs, vectors in the plane, as well as delving into polynomial approximations and infinite series.

Texts: Calculus 10th edition by Ron Larson

Be Prepared for the AP Calculus Exam by Mark Howell and Martha Montgomery

• Like 6

Thank you so much for posting specific examples, Julie!  Makes the process of writing course descriptions seem much more approachable.  For some reason, I thought they had to be longer.  I can do short & concise! 

Thank you!

• Like 1

I did what Julie did. However, my descriptions for Maya Inspektor's AP English classes both tended to be a bit long as I added the reading list.  Also, given that my son's focus is on foreign policy and national security, I listed the Peace Institute essay as the topic was security sector reform.

I found that most of the "course descriptions" on the PAH site were not really what I considered course descriptions.  I ended up rewriting almost all of them, although I used snippets from the website to varying degrees.  Julie's look good (although a little more concise than mine), but it looks like we formatted a bit differently (I didn't list the info on teacher or that the course was through PAH in the description, but instead listed it on a separate line after the course description.  At any rate, I really think the course descriptions matter less than we think they do.

• Like 1