Menu

My dd and our dogs won a costume contest yesterday!!!

There is an outdoor mall near us that we love because it is dog friendly. They have an event every year that we adore. It is a Dog Halloween Costume Contest & Parade.

The first year, two years ago, our puppy, Daisy, a german shepard/husky mix was a hot dog (she looked amazing) and our Porgi (corgi/pom mix) was a chicken. That is the only time we bought costumes. My dd and Daisy were photographed and put on the cover of a local dog magazine.

Last year Daisy was cat woman (everyone thought she was Zorro) and Frodo was Under Dog.

This year, I had promised my dd a Candy Corn Witch costume. It was adorable! It was $22, and we had saved up for a long time. Then, my goddaughter stole $185 from me, right before she left. I've had to turn off my phone, cancel my trash pickup, and bargain with the electric company to let me pay my bill next month, which is going to make me tight for the next three months, beyond tight. It made me postpone getting her costume, and, by the time I could afford it, it was sold out at the cheap places, and the cheapest place I could find was $54.

I knew she'd be crushed, and she was, but her face fell, then she straightened up, looked at me, and said, "Mom, I can be that in a couple of years, when it is cheaper, I'd never let you pay that, let's look for something else.".

I love my child! :D

So, we found a really cheap costume of Cleopatra, her fave woman in history! For the dog contest, we made Frodo Julius Caesar, and Daisy Anubis, the Egyptian God with the head of a Jackal, for less than $8. On the way there, Daisy ate most of her costume. While there, some friends met us, which was great, because Frodo kept walking out of his costume and peed on it a few times :lol:.

And, in the end, I think more because of the creativity than anything else (and it was all my dd's idea), they won 3rd place, which is huge--it is such a big competition, and people buy really expensive costumes!!

I am so proud!! :D