Menu

Statistics as a separate class?

Nephew is doing statistics at a community college over the summer. He told me when he is done, I can have his book. He also has some computer thing with a 6 month subscription. So when he is done with the class, he should still have 5 months left on it that we can use.

Part of me thinks..yay! This would be GREAT! But another part of me thinks there are statistics topics throughout high school math and he likely will need statistics in college so this might be a waste of time to do it on our our. But then yet another part of me thinks we likely would not cover all of what a college person would cover and he would not likely remember all of it in the long run, so this might be good to have a basic statistics class. Apparently, it is a freshman level statistics class with only "algebra readiness" as a pre-requisite. 

What do you think? Would you give it a try? Or just thank nephew and say no and then do what was planned in the first place otherwise.

Edited by Janeway

I am sure that it will cover more than the stats "peppered" through the typical math texts.

Maybe do a 1/2 year course from this CC text.  Exposure is good for stats so you are aware of what is available as a tool in your toolbox.

What grade is your student in?

Edited by MarkT
  • Like 1

A statistics class with "algebra readiness", not even actual algebra? No, I would not consider this worth my time for a high school credit. I am surprised this counts as a college class.

But I would at least look at his book.

my brain "read" that has Algebra based which may be wrong - if you are correct then this is probably a weak class

maybe OP can paste actual course description in this thread

my brain "read" that has Algebra based which may be wrong - if you are correct then this is probably a weak class

maybe OP can paste actual course description in this thread

let me get on my computer and find it to copy and paste.

Here it is....

Elementary Statistical Methods

This is a Texas Common Course Number. This is a Core Curriculum course selected by the colleges of the DCCCD. 
Prerequisite Required: College level ready in Mathematics at the non-algebra or algebra levels.
Course Description: Collection, analysis, presentation and interpretation of data, and probability. Analysis includes descriptive statistics, correlation and regression, confidence intervals and hypothesis testing. Use of appropriate technology is recommended. This course is cross-listed as MATH 2342.The student may register for either M ATH 2342 or MATH 2442 but may receive credit for only one of the two. (4 Lec.) 
Coordinating Board Academic Approval Number 2705015119

Here is the book information....

Introductory Statistics (Loose pgs)(w/MyStatLab Access) Edition: 2nd

Author: Gould 
    ISBN: 9780134216386
    Copyright Year: 2016
    Publisher: Pearson
    Type Buy/Rent Option Rental Period Provider In Stock ? Your Price       BUY NEW       $151.10

This is a "stats appreciation" class -- think "stats as a life skill" or "stats for civic literacy", basically how to understand enough statistics to be an informed citizen and understand when you're being lied to. I'd consider it worthwhile for a humanities or non-college-bound student but for a STEM/social sciences (stats are used a lot in psych/soc/etc)/undecided I would prefer a more mathematical treatment. 

• Like 1