Menu

Abeka Vs. Bob Jones Grammar

Homeschooling6

I think this is my last question concerning BJ:glare: I won't need this until next year. I know that WTM recomends Abeka.

After FLL 4 I'm not sure if I want to use BJ or Abeka for Grammar. I don't want to use R&S (We have it already)

I'm looking at purchasing for grades 5 & 6 nexy year.

Which would help my child be more independent? With 6 kiddos 'in school' next year I'm trying to get my kiddos to be less teacher dependent

I like that BJ has alternates one chapter is teaching grammar the next chapter teaches writing.

Which in your opinion is more thorough teaching grammar?

Any information would really help.

I really appreciate your help with this.

BJUP.

ABeka beats grammar to death every.single.year. And unless you use the DVDs or buy the teacher curriculum, there will not be enough writing assignments.

BJUP's grammar makes me twitch just a little; I don't like the way the dc are supposed to lable (label?? why can I never remember???) the sentences, BUT IMHO it is still as comprehensive as ABeka but without the overkill factor. And as you have noticed, there is plenty of writing.

I already purchased the Abeka's grammar book for 4th grade for next year for dd8 because I saw it used and wanted to preview it.

I don't think I would use their writing at all, though it has some helpful information to use for reference for writing reports and such.

I would use their grammar sections only and another writing program of my choice. If there is a Writing With Ease workbook finished by then for that level, I may use that. I have IEW but might try one of their subject specific writing lesson books. I don't really know yet, but I know there are good things out there.

My plan is to not use Abeka every year, and also cut down on needless repetition while using it. I have to look at the subsequent years to decide, but I might do Abeka for two years, 4th and 5th. Then I might take a break and do something different for a change of pace or to add a different perspective: Easy Grammar, Growing With Grammar, Lingua Mater....Then I would go back to Abeka. Is this weird?

I would like to find a thorough grammar program that I could use as is, but dd LOVES the color of Abeka and it makes a difference for her.

I look forward to reading other comments on this thread. Thank you for starting it.

Kelli

I went from using R&S English to Abeka Grammar for the same reason...more independence. Can I say that we are RUNNING back to R&S? :tongue_smilie:

Abeka grammar is stressful for *us*, they throw SO much at you in a seemingly disjointed fashion. I realize it's spiral in approach (which for math works great for us), and that just didn't work here for grammar/english. We need step by step, a bit at a time....

I've never seen BJU english, but from what I have 'heard' it is a bit teacher intensive ?

Having used both A Beka and BJU I have to say that BJU wins in our house. A Beka frustrated my older boys when we used it and they actually seemed to lose ground due to said frustration. Also, when you get to the higher level books they are toooooooo much!! Each page was overwhelmingly full. If you have a child who will mentally shut down when looking at a page brimming full of information that cannot possibly be "taken in" [my oldest son]...then A Beka is not for you.

Now, having said that, BJU is written to be taught. You would not want to just hand your child the BJU workbook and say, "Do page 25." You would first need to teach page 25. Yes, there is SOME instruction in the student's workbook...but if you want your child to learn, as in master the concept, it really should be taught from the TM first. KWIM? Whereas A Beka is one you can just hand to your child.

I really like BJU's English. I am not sure why SWB does not list it in her book, but it's a great program. The high school levels can be very tough though and are hard to just jump into without previous years of BJU instruction.

The writing chapters in the elementary levels up through 6th grade are wonderful. Unfortunately from 7th up there are no longer actual writing chapters, just writing assignments. In the elementary writing chapters the child is walked through the writing process each day. The hand-holding is wonderful, not only for the child, but for the parent who is uncomfortable teaching writing. I guess BJU figures that after 6 years of hand-holding the child should be able to write without such specific help from 7th up. Not so with my kiddos, but I will stick with BJU for the duration and add my writing from other sources if needs be.

By the way BJU does have the student label sentences, but they also teach diagramming. My son (6th grader) does very well with diagramming. They don't beat diagramming to DEATH by having them diagram every. single. day, but it is taught periodically throughout the year. Also, please be aware that BJU builds upon itself each year. A concept is taught one year, reviewed the following and added upon. The earlier you start BJU's grammar, the better your child will do with it. We started in 4th grade with my youngest; he is doing very well so far. My middle son began BJU grammar using the 9th grade text in 10th grade and STRUGGLED! It was tough, tough, tough. I don't see my youngest having those same stuggles as he will have many years of BJU under his belt.

Anyhow, food for thought and all that...;)

Thank you ladies. I LOVE Rod & Staff English but it's becoming too much for my son to have to write everything out. This is why I'm looking for more of a workbook format. I'm really sad about leaving R&S English.

Bummer about BJ not continuing with the writing :( but I guess we'll survive. Maybe I'll pull out our Writing Strands.

We'll be starting with BJ English 5 so hopefully he won't struggle with the upper grades. I'm also adding in some FLL 4 during the writing weeks to drill those parts of speech.

With all my other students I plan to use Writing With Ease. For Grammar they will use FLL 3 & 4 and possibly continue with Bob Jones as well.

Again appreciate all your in-put.

Blessings,

Linda,

I just wanted to add that if you really love Rod & Staff you don't have to make your son write it all out. We use R&S and do the majority of it orally. This is how we use it. I do the oral review and then read the lesson with my dc. Then we do all the class practice together orally. I only assign written practice that involves writing original work...like...write 4 questions of your own...or, write 2 sentences using proper nouns...or if it is an actual composition lesson. Instead of assigning the written practice I do assign them the worksheet from the worksheet booklet. The only other time I make them do any of the written practice is if there is diagramming, or if they just don't "get it" and need the extra practice, but that is really very rare. My son is allergic to his pencil and it would be sheer torture for him if he had to do all the writing required. We also really like R&S and my dc have done very, very well with their grammar doing it this way. HTH! :)

Linda,

I just wanted to add that if you really love Rod & Staff you don't have to make your son write it all out. We use R&S and do the majority of it orally. This is how we use it. I do the oral review and then read the lesson with my dc. Then we do all the class practice together orally. I only assign written practice that involves writing original work...like...write 4 questions of your own...or, write 2 sentences using proper nouns...or if it is an actual composition lesson. Instead of assigning the written practice I do assign them the worksheet from the worksheet booklet. The only other time I make them do any of the written practice is if there is diagramming, or if they just don't "get it" and need the extra practice, but that is really very rare. My son is allergic to his pencil and it would be sheer torture for him if he had to do all the writing required. We also really like R&S and my dc have done very, very well with their grammar doing it this way. HTH! :)

Thanks for sharing. Tonight by lamplight I'll be looking at R&S English 5 :D

Blessings,