Menu

Is Mystery Science enough for a 5th grader?

I am using it for my 2nd graders next year, but will add in some read alouds to go along with it.

My 5th grader may follow some of the mysteries with us, but it will not be her main science. She likes Evan Moor Daily Science, so we will use grade 5 of that and add in assigned reading on the topic of the week and probably some reports once in awhile.

My non sciency 6th grade DD did it with her 3rd grade brother this year.  I scheduled The Happy Scientist videos and Brain Pop.  I also got some library books and a notebook/power point set on general science from teachers pay teachers.

Was it enough?  Well, my plan was to spend a month each on different topics.  I think it worked out pretty well.  If you just watched the videos and did the experiments alone...I don't think it is.  And there are not enough videos at that level yet.  They continue to add more, though.  That said, my kids did not complain about science once all year!  Last year we did Quark Botany with a bunch of other books.  My kids get bored studying a full semester or year on 1 science subject.  Why are there not more general science homeschool curricula?

Most subjects for my (gifted) third grader were redundant. Parts of subjects were new and I liked the activities and discussions so we will continue it. Documentaries are more in depth for us, but I do think mystery science is more engaging, and if I allow DS to pick his own science subjects he'll never get around to some topics.

So, a toss up?