Menu

Intro to comp and lit from Clrc

Hi hive,

Has anyone taken introduction to comp and lit from clrc online classes? If so

1. How effective are they in writing? If I enroll, this will be my DD's only writing and lit classes

2. Can kids see the instructors' face and/or chat on the boxes and use microphone?

3. How is the workload?

4. Is There any grammar instruction? If so how much grammar?

Thank you so much veteran parents!

• Like 1

Is this for a 10 year old? Or a high schooler? I only see a 10 year old in your signature, but his is a HS subsection so that's why I am asking.

I would say this is a solid 8th grade class (intro to Lit), so a bit light for a high schooler and too much for a 10 year old not because of the written output requirement, but because of content. The book selection requires maturity and writing essays on these topics can be difficult.

No, you can't see a live face of a teacher, but you can see her picture. Chat box is visible.

There is grammar instruction but no workbook for it. They review rules from Srunk and white.

Workload is perfect for a 7th or 8th grader.

Hi,

She is 11 years old but working mostly at highschool level. She is in Veritas lit 6 class and doing really good. I do want a class that includes lit and writing. I am also looking at WHA language arts 3 class. I had concerns and I couldn't get reply from the teacher. Also no one picks up the phone ever in WHA. It makes me nervous. I really like the looks of Clrc. She has taken 1.5 live lessons not sure about 2 hours. Is Grammar enough or should I supplement it?

Thank you so much for the reply.

That depends on how much grammar she had. We get grammar in foreign languages so I don't supplement. You will have plenty of time to round our language arts in any way you decide during the year.

I think if you think the reading selection is a good fit for her, CLRC will be fine. I don't know anything about Veritas program. Intro class is not high school level.

That depends on how much grammar she had. We get grammar in foreign languages so I don't supplement. You will have plenty of time to round our language arts in any way you decide during the year.

I think if you think the reading selection is a good fit for her, CLRC will be fine. I don't know anything about Veritas program. Intro class is not high school level.

Hi,

In my clrc search, I kept running your posts on multiple threads. I saw that your son has taken intro to clrc and WWS 2 at the same time. Did you feel that clrc didn't hVe enough writing? Was it too much? My daughter is taking physics with wtma and geometry with WHA. I am worried that she might not have enough writing now.

Hi,

In my clrc search, I kept running your posts on multiple threads. I saw that your son has taken intro to clrc and WWS 2 at the same time. Did you feel that clrc didn't hVe enough writing? Was it too much? My daughter is taking physics with wtma and geometry with WHA. I am worried that she might not have enough writing now.

I didn't know what CLRC would turn out like when we signed up last year. I knew they wrote three essays in the class and decided we needed more writing and went for WWS2 as well. What I didn't know is in addition to essays, CLRC assigns summaries and creative assignments every week. We certainly overdid on language arts this year, so going forward we are only taking CLRC. I have a STEM kid. For us the writing in CLRC is enough. For children who need step by step instruction, CLRC might not be enough. For liberal arts leaning kid, they might be able to squeeze a online G3 lit classes in addition.. I don't think CLRC on its own is a lot of work. Essays were difficult and mostly due to the subject matter. My kid is also on the younger side so his struggles weren't English related. He did rose to the occasion though.q

CLRC will certainly leave you time if you need to supplement it. I wouldn't advice WWS class in addition. I hope I am answering your question. Till today it's tough for me to figure out what is "enough." So much of this is individual. If it helps, we plan on supplementing with some focused work on essays during weeks when CLRC class proves light.

• Like 1

I didn't know what CLRC would turn out like when we signed up last year. I knew they wrote three essays in the class and decided we needed more writing and went for WWS2 as well. What I didn't know is in addition to essays, CLRC assigns summaries and creative assignments every week. We certainly overdid on language arts this year, so going forward we are only taking CLRC. I have a STEM kid. For us the writing in CLRC is enough. For children who need step by step instruction, CLRC might not be enough. For liberal arts leaning kid, they might be able to squeeze a online G3 lit classes in addition.. I don't think CLRC on its own is a lot of work. Essays were difficult and mostly due to the subject matter. My kid is also on the younger side so his struggles weren't English related. He did rose to the occasion though.q

CLRC will certainly leave you time if you need to supplement it. I wouldn't advice WWS class in addition. I hope I am answering your question. Till today it's tough for me to figure out what is "enough." So much of this is individual. If it helps, we plan on supplementing with some focused work on essays during weeks when CLRC class proves light.

Phew! Thank you so much. I almost signed up for WWS1 class. She is a STEM kid as well. And taking Too many math classes and science outside of online as well. I am so glad that you replied.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Mom2Vikha,

Did your daughter ever take this course from CLRC? If so, what did she/you think about it?

Roadrunner,

I emailed the instructor but have yet to get a response. I asked whether this course was suitable for high school credit since the course description says grades 7-9, but the website lists the course as being for middle school. In your opinion, is it not worth a high school credit for a  ninth grader? 

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, BrittiBop16 said:

Roadrunner,

I emailed the instructor but have yet to get a response. I asked whether this course was suitable for high school credit since the course description says grades 7-9, but the website lists the course as being for middle school. In your opinion, is it not worth a high school credit for a  ninth grader? 

Thanks in advance!

Their British Lit is listed as a high school course, but my kid did more work in Intro to Lit class. I think you can award a credit for high school for this course.

• Thanks 1