Menu

If you've used TGC: Joy of Science course...

Look at old posts from Rose (Chrysalis Academy). I seem to recall that she used it with a middle schooler and didn't find it too inspiring.

Thanks for the idea! I found an old thread where she was using the book more for her own organization, and seemed to like it. Maybe there is a more recent thread that google is not turning up for me... I hope she'll chime in!

I've listened to most of that one. I would say middle school (7th-8th) for a very interested person is the youngest I'd go. If the interest isn't really there I'd push it off for 9th-10th.

Thank you!  I've been searching for old threads as well, and am now taking a closer look at this book:  Dr. Art's Guide to Science plus the Story of Science by Hakim for 5-6th.

Unfortunately, that course isn't very good.  He glosses over things that are critical to understanding.  And the textbook is similar, though it does have a bit more detail.  

That said, a middle schooler with a strong science background probably wouldn't have too much trouble with it.

If you decide to use it, I recommend that you have several other texts on hand to augment what is presented as necessary.

Unfortunately, that course isn't very good.  He glosses over things that are critical to understanding.  And the textbook is similar, though it does have a bit more detail.  

That said, a middle schooler with a strong science background probably wouldn't have too much trouble with it.

If you decide to use it, I recommend that you have several other texts on hand to augment what is presented as necessary.

I feel this can be said about most science courses, though.  Do you have another overview course you like better?

I feel this can be said about most science courses, though.  Do you have another overview course you like better?

Do you mean that most science courses gloss over things that are critical to understanding?  If so, I agree that most elementary and middle school science courses do, but a good high school or college course will not, or at least not much.

I don't have an overview course that I like better, which I why I am in the process of (slowly) writing one.