Menu

Critical Thinking Company Suggestions...

Mama Geek

I have been using mind benders with dd, we just finished the level 2 book.  I am going to get the level 3 book.  What other books do they have that are really worth it.  They have tons and I just can't really decide.  What is the best bang for the buck?

I use and like their Building Thinking Skills series, I looked at a lot of their products and chose just that one and have been happy with it. It does not take much time and teaches a lot of good skills.

My son recently applied to a 1/2 day math and science school, one of the tests was similar to things in those books, but he said they were harder then the high school book. I moved him to his sister's books this year, it does get a bit repetitive after a few years so she was done with the books but did maybe 1/3 of the exercises in them. Anyway, he was given 40 minutes for 200 questions and completed 197 and thinks he got most of them right! Both of their spatial reasoning skills are better and faster than mine after working through the books. I have to think longer then them and sometimes check the answers. I am a bit faster than my son in the verbal ones but my daughter can do them as fast as me. I have never had to check the verbal answers.

I could do the verbal ones in 12 seconds per question, but no way could I complete as many as he did with a mix of the two, he said it was a mix of verbal and spatial questions.

The lower levels are one book, high school is two books, figural and verbal.

Edited by ElizabethB

We like using balance benders, mind benders, and editor in chief. I'm looking forward to trying out the detectives series. The series that I was "meh" about were the visual perception series and the mathematics series. I know that many people love the mathematic books but the format didn't work for us.

I love the mathematical reasoning as a supplement ONLY and as summer work.  I also used Building Thinking Skills for my 2nd grade DD.  She was OK with it but the lack of color was "eh" at that point in her life.  She may like it better now.  I plan on checking out their booth at the convention I'm going to in a month.  :)  Mind Benders sounds like a winner!!