Menu

When to start first language lessons and spelling

I have first language lessons and I haven't purchased a spelling curriculum yet. I'm a bit thrown off because in the book it recommends doing grammar after you start spelling. I wasn't going to use what was recommended in the book (I was going to use rod and staff) and that's where I'm thrown off. It recommends starting grammar lessons after you finish spelling workout A. Is it still the same if you use a different curriculum? Would you still do FLL after completing some of the spelling work? Also input on rod and staff spelling would be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

You can definitely start FLL first. All the lessons are oral, so no spelling skills are necessary. The first MANY lessons are on really simple stuff like the days of the week, months, family members (are there really school aged kids who need to be taught what an aunt is?), etc.

I don't have any experience with R&S, but I know their products are usually pretty solid and get the job done. 😊

• Like 2

FLL is really very gentle. It takes about 5 min. Don't be afraid to start it now. You can just begin whether or not you've started or will start a spelling program. For spelling check out All About Spelling (AAS). It's also a very gentle program. The first level went really quickly when DS started in K. It introduces concepts and rules very systematically. Then it works up to dictating sentences so it's a great introduction to writing. Another great option is English Lessons Through Literature (ELTL) which also does grammar very gently and has copywork.

• Like 1

We started AAS 1 and FLL1 at the same time (first grade), but I don't see how it would make a bit of difference when/in what order you begin either grammar or spelling. Like the others have said, FLL is super easy and gentle and very easy to weave into your school day. Good luck!

• Like 1

We start FLL mid-way through K. After my twins I swore I wouldn't waste time teaching spelling before third which was when they were writing enough that they actually used the words and thus remembered them. However, my 2dd requested it in 2nd and it has gone well,

YMMV, even within one family!

• Like 1

I found the grade levels on FLL to be very age appropriate. 1 is perfect for most first graders.

Spelling I don't start until they're reading fluently enough to not need separate phonics instruction. Then spelling will replace phonics. That's been at a different place for each kid.

• Like 2

Thank you so much for all the replies!!!!! I was leaning towards waiting on spelling (my son is just beginning to read fluently. It's been an uphill battle) and these replies solidified it. I was looking over FLL last night and I was surprised at how easy it is at least the first few lessons. I think I'll start FLL and wait until he's writing and reading a little better to start spelling.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Edited by miller.kerry89