Menu

Any laminating advice?

rafiki

Definitely call around and price compare. The teacher resource lab at the local community college is the cheapest place around here, but many places offer it as well (office supply, printers, school supply store, etc.). Also consider buying a small home laminating unit that takes the heat-set pouches. Unless you need to do posters, the small unit will do almost anything and is very convenient. I used to let my dd make bookmarks, laminate her copywork to make books, laminate cheat sheets (for SWR, etc.) to use as bookmarks in the tm, etc. The pouches come in a thicker mil as well as the regular thin mil, making it extra sturdy for things where you want that.

The one down-side to laminating at the teacher resource lab is they have (stupid) students there who shove it in too soon and ruin your stuff, ask me how I know. So make them run it an inch or two before they feed your stuff in, even if you have to pay for it. You also need to call in advance so they can warm the machine. The big machines take 20-30 minutes to warm up.

I second the suggestion to buy your own unit (if your doing preschool now, you're going to have many many years ahead full of stuff you want to laminate!) Here's the one I bought:

PL150 Pouch Laminator

I also bought a bulk load of laminator pouches in 2 sizes: letter and small menu size. The menu size works with file folders, especially if you get involved in making lapbooks, file folder games, mini offices, etc. If you don't plan to laminate file folders, then you could find a smaller laminator.

If you want to find a place, ask your local homeschool co-op or support group - someone there has probably already done the research:) Or try the local schools, colleges, and libraries - see how they compare to an office supply store. But I sure do love having my own laminator. Next I want to buy a binding machine to make spiral bound books.

Last summer Staples (I think), laminated for teachers free. There was a limit of 50 ft in length, and 2 feet wide. We had lots of stuff done. The education Express store charges .07 a square inch. For Christmas dh bought me a one from Wal-Mart so I could do little things at home. But for larger items Staples was great.

HTH,

Heather