Menu

EM Daily Science or Mystery Science as a spine?

sdobis

I've been looking at both of these curricula, and they seem to be similar. They start with a question and use their formats to then answer that question while going deeper into the concepts. The main lessons could be done independently. They would lend themselves to a more Charlotte Mason approach by adding living books and notebooking. There are activities included in each lesson.

This would be for a 2nd grader. She would have zero difficulty in doing the lessons independently. I could then focus on going deeper with her.

If you've used one or both, help me decide which would be a better spine.

If you're going to supplement with books and such, it'd be more FUN to stick with Mystery Science for your spine.

But, I really like E-M Daily science for topic coverage, especially if you stick with it over multiple levels.  I also have a highly visual, worksheet-loving kid, so it fits his style of learning better.

This semester we've been using both.   I like to have E-M science as a spine and then add in MS activities where they make sense, and periodically putting away E-M to do a MS unit unrelated to what there is in E-M.  Each level of E-M Daily Science only has 30 weeks worth of content, 6 of which are review, which we incorporate into other weeks instead of reserving an entire week for.  So with 24 weeks of E-M, there's plenty of time left for Mystery Science and other rabbit trails.

• Like 1

I cannot speak to E-M but mystery science is giving away free memberships through June of 2018. It might be worth signing up and looking it over either way. Even if you go with E-M you could use Mystery Science as an extra or supplement. Lots of good stuff there :)

I cannot speak to E-M but mystery science is giving away free memberships through June of 2018. It might be worth signing up and looking it over either way. Even if you go with E-M you could use Mystery Science as an extra or supplement. Lots of good stuff there :)

I have the free trial. I've been able to look through it pretty thoroughly. If only I didn't like both programs...

If you're going to supplement with books and such, it'd be more FUN to stick with Mystery Science for your spine.

But, I really like E-M Daily science for topic coverage, especially if you stick with it over multiple levels. I also have a highly visual, worksheet-loving kid, so it fits his style of learning better.

This semester we've been using both. I like to have E-M science as a spine and then add in MS activities where they make sense, and periodically putting away E-M to do a MS unit unrelated to what there is in E-M. Each level of E-M Daily Science only has 30 weeks worth of content, 6 of which are review, which we incorporate into other weeks instead of reserving an entire week for. So with 24 weeks of E-M, there's plenty of time left for Mystery Science and other rabbit trails.

I really should aim for a mix. I guess I should see how they could fit together.