Menu

Sore paws

Night Elf

I took my dachshund to the park today. We don't take him often really. He doesn't walk well on a leash so we rarely walk him. When we do take him to the park, he runs like the dickens. Today, he couldn't even make it around the 1 mile trail. He slowed way down about 3/4 of the way around and DH had to carry him back. The trail is asphalt. Now he's walking gingerly and licking his paws, mostly the back ones. We think he pounded them too hard with his running. He's never done this before. He's been on 2 mile walk/runs with no problems. DH is also wondering if the asphalt was hot and burned his pads. When we take him to the greenway, it's mostly boardwalk and shaded. Poor little guy.

The hot asphalt hurting is paws is a good possibility, that has happened to my dogs before. But also check that there isn't anything in his paw. My dog stepped on a nail once. It went deep into her paw and the color blended in so it was hard to find. She refused to walk but showed no indication that a specific paw hurt. It took a long time investigating to find the nail. Just a thought