Menu

Can't decide on history for next year...

LauraBeth475

If you are interested in Connecting with History, another Catholic created history curriculum you might like is TAN Story of Civilization.  We're waiting to really "do" it until next year, but we have listened to the audio book in the car and it is very entertaining and educational.  It has been our favorite of the history spines we have looked into and has all the supplementary activity books, etc. like SOTW.  It only has Volume 1 (ancients) and 2 (medieval) out so far though, so not sure if that will help you if you're looking for a later time period.

We use Sonlight last year, but this year I have three kids at three different levels, so we changed to Wayfarers that uses SOTW as a backbone. We did volume 2 this year. I'm using Story of the World 3 next year, and I'm basically going to use all the readers from Bookshark 3, plus many of the read alouds, and then also a few other books suggested in the SOTW Activity Guide that sounded really interesting. I have to say, I like CHOW and Sonlight/Bookshar, but I think the thing I liked best was getting a big box of books all at once and feeling like Christmas (they are so good at marketing!). SOTW saves me a lot of money finding books at the library (or I can buy them if I really want to), and the Activity Guide was really useful for helping my kiddos retain what they were learning. They seemed to connect to the text of SOTW, written in a much more contemporary fashion, than CHOW. So, that is my vote. :)