Menu

Cogat

jennynd

My daughter just had her cogat test results back from school. (We are after schooler) She was tested on form 6 level b and the test was done when she was 9 years old and 2 weeks . She had 99 percentile on all 3 batteries for 3rd grade level. but I am troubled that there is no age percentile nor profile reported. The reports says she is out of the age range? I thought level B was recommended for 3rd grade? Any idea why that is?

Level B is 4th grade (but might be used for gifted identification for lower grades).  Even though she is in 3rd grade, you should be able to get percentiles reported for both age and grade.  When I did the CogAT out of level with my kids, I had them report the percentiles for the grade the test was intended for and their actual age.

Maybe she circle the wrong date for her birthday?😭... I supposed she is on the younger side. Will the fact that she only missed one question in the entire test might disqualify for the age score? Considering it is a out of level test?... we didn't have any say on the level. It is just what school district does

It really depends on school and local policies.  In our local school district, yes, gifted kids - particularly younger ones - are frequently passed over because of misunderstandings over those tests.  I know of a handful of independently-verified HG-PG kids who didn't qualify for the top 10% GT program here (i.e., statistically in the 0.01% but not selected as school top 10%).

If there is a program you want to advocate for, then I recommend having a professional evaluation performed by a psychologist who specializes in gifted support.

If it's really for an honor, or you don't care that much, then just ask for a re-evaluation at the next opportunity.