Menu

Beginning Latin for 8th Grader

rubyslippers

Hello,

My daughter will be in 8th grade next year.  She has been doing Rosetta Stone Spanish for a few years and we have done some Latin roots, etc., but I want her to take an online Latin class next year that will build on itself for the next 2 to 3 years. She is very interested in going into Biology or Botany, so I want to make sure she has a strong Latin background.  
I've seen a few options, but really have no idea which is the better one. I have zero Latin training myself. I would also consider a DVD program of some sort, as long as it was laid out well.

I have searched for old threads and am coming up a little short.  Thank you!

First Form. And there are DVDs that go with it. I actually love the guy on the DVDs. 

I looked into this, and I cannot find the information about how it's laid out.  Are they supposed to watch one video per week?  Every day?  I would like to know how the program is organized before purchasing...

Thanks!!

Yes, you could do one lesson/video per week.  First Form is extremely well-organized and easy to follow.  There are about 5 workbook pages per lesson, so...

Day 1:  Read the 2-page spread in the textbook and watch the lesson for the week.  Do workbook pages 1 & 5 (5 is easy as it is mostly the derivatives).

Day 2:  Do workbook page 2

Day 3:  Do workbook page 3

Day 4:  Do workbook page 4

Day 5:  Take any quizzes/tests

Also during the week, practice oral recitations and oral drills.

Week 2 do the same with Lesson 2, etc. If you want a 4-day week, do workbook pages 2 & 3 on the same day...easy peasy!

The DVD's will also review previous lessons as part of the beginning recitation.

If you don't quite understand it, still, you could go through the teacher's guide, but I only used it when I was teaching First Form to a summer Latin Study Group.  Otherwise, the DVD acts as your teacher guide.

Hope this helps.  And I agree about the DVD instructor being fantastic....he's funny, gives great practical examples of concepts, and is very helpful with recitations.

Brenda

P.S.  Whenever you want more help, you can just switch to Memoria Press Online Academy for Latin that would begin in the fall...if you like the series and layout of the material.

Edited by Omma
  • Like 1

I don't think you will be disappointed! 

One further tip I would add, though, would be to get an extra workbook for YOU to do.  Set everyone up at the kitchen table and  do workbook pages individually but together.  Then make sure to grade your dc's pages quickly (it will be easy for you since you did the work, too) and have a method to go over what they got wrong as you move forward together.

Enjoy!!!

• Like 1

I don't think you will be disappointed! 

One further tip I would add, though, would be to get an extra workbook for YOU to do.  Set everyone up at the kitchen table and  do workbook pages individually but together.  Then make sure to grade your dc's pages quickly (it will be easy for you since you did the work, too) and have a method to go over what they got wrong as you move forward together.

Enjoy!!!

It's funny you mention this, I was thinking of doing this exact thing! Addicted to words as I am, I would love to study Latin. Thank you for the encouragement...Happy schooling. :-)