Menu

Easter meal help, please!

amyinva

Because a couple family members have to work Sunday evening, we are moving our Easter meal to right after church. So I was thinking we would still make ham, but instead of hot sides I would do a bunch of salads. I would love some recipes for fun salads I can make a day ahead!

A guest has allergies to gluten, dairy, soy, and coconut. So bonus points if those are avoided. She doesn't need to able to eat everything, but I want a few different options for her. Also looking for a dessert for her, which is tough bc it seems like everything dairy free uses coconut milk as a replacement. Fruit is an option, but I'd love something a little more desserty.

So far the menu is:

Ham with pineapple-horseradish sauce

Black bean-mango salad

Arugula with strawberries, goat cheese, and candied pecans (cheese to be added if desired)

Rolls

Coconut cake

Lemon cake

Thank you for any ideas, especially with recipes!

black bean brownies taste like regular brownies and don't have any of the ingredients your guest needs to avoid. I have this recipe in my files from long ago. When I served it, my fairly young kids didn't detect a difference. Unfortunately, I did not include a link in my file (I may have gotten it off WTM) 

Black Bean Brownies

1 (15oz) can of rinsed/drained black beans
3 eggs
3 tbsp oil
4 tbsp cocoa
1 pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 c sugar

1. turn oven to 350
2. mix all ingredients in blender or food processor.
3. pour into greased 8x8 pan (can add chocolate chips on top)

4. bake for about 30 mins 

I make this salad where you steam green beans (haricots verts or blue lake beans or whatever you can get, trimmed but kept long) until they turn bright green, so still pretty crisp, and then blanch them in very cold water to stop the cooking, and then drain and refrigerate them.  Separately you make a fairly strong tasting Dijon / red wine vinegar vinaigrette, with lots of chopped shallots added and put that in the fridge in a big canning jar.  You can do this the day before serving. 

Then the morning of the meal, you put the beans into a marinator (I have a great Tupperware one) and pour the dressing over them.  You put this back in the fridge, and turn it occasionally when you think of it. 

Serve cold or at room temperature.  This is always a hit with people, and it doesn't have any typical food allergens nor is it high glycemic index.  It's a nice variety from heavier salads and from the general heaviness of ham.

• Like 1

You can make flourless brownies as well. I don't have a recipe, but there are tons out there.

You can dress it up with a berry sauce, or Carmel, whipped cream, ice cream or just put out some options and let guests decorate their own.