Menu

R&S-5 English and paragraphs - a real breakthrough!

Rhondabee

I know all the parents of girls will think, "So what?" but I just wanted to post how much easier writing paragraphs has become since my 5th gr ds has covered the outlining lessons in R&S-5.

I didn't even do the lessons to true mastery, since we are only outlining the main idea of each paragraph in history (OOP KF). Then, off the top of my head, I wrote out on a sheet of paper:

I.

A.

B.

C.

D.

It was my intention to fill this out *with* him after he had read SOTW, and then let him use it to write his paragraph. But he obviously found it (Wednesday), and knew what to do because it was all filled out when I next saw it! So, now he has created two more outlines on his own. (He must think this is easier than writing a paragraph.)

The great thing is that today he did an outline unasked. We tweaked it a bit to give it a good conclusion, and then he wrote his paragraph. (You know, more than 3 sentences - an actual *real* paragraph that flows, even - yay!) I was hoping to use it as dictation (also not a strong suit around here), but gave that up because my 3yo dd wanted to sing and would not be stopped! =)

I just wanted to share because even though I have tried to explain to him that he should only be writing about one thing (a person, event, or place), he just didn't get it until those outlining lessons. Maybe this will help someone~

Rhonda

I know all the parents of girls will think, "So what?" but I just wanted to post how much easier writing paragraphs has become since my 5th gr ds has covered the outlining lessons in R&S-5.

I didn't even do the lessons to true mastery, since we are only outlining the main idea of each paragraph in history (OOP KF). Then, off the top of my head, I wrote out on a sheet of paper:

I.

A.

B.

C.

D.

It was my intention to fill this out *with* him after he had read SOTW, and then let him use it to write his paragraph. But he obviously found it (Wednesday), and knew what to do because it was all filled out when I next saw it! So, now he has created two more outlines on his own. (He must think this is easier than writing a paragraph.)

The great thing is that today he did an outline unasked. We tweaked it a bit to give it a good conclusion, and then he wrote his paragraph. (You know, more than 3 sentences - an actual *real* paragraph that flows, even - yay!) I was hoping to use it as dictation (also not a strong suit around here), but gave that up because my 3yo dd wanted to sing and would not be stopped! =)

I just wanted to share because even though I have tried to explain to him that he should only be writing about one thing (a person, event, or place), he just didn't get it until those outlining lessons. Maybe this will help someone~

Rhonda

:hurray::party::hurray::party::hurray::party:

You go, girl!! That is so cool! And you are giving me some more food for thought, too, in my ongoing journey.....I may be back with more questions for you! But that is just great - it's so encouraging to hear of someone succeeding in teaching writing this way!