Menu

How is Math Mammoth different?

Momma4

I'm thinking of switching math curriculums from RS A 2nd Ed to Math Mammoth. My son seems to zone out when I 'teaching him' and all the different strategies and manipulatives are too distracting for him at this stage. And I also feel he would benefit more from a mastery approach rather than spiral.

I keep reading that math mammoths style is different to other math curriculums but I'm now sure what is being referred to here?

Any ideas/experience?

Xxx

Our experience was that the look of the pages was so crowded that my son had a meltdown within about 30 seconds of me pulling it out for the first time.

Apparently this reaction is more common than you might think.

• Like 1

We did not have that problem that EKS describes - though we do habitually cross out half the problems per page! - but I've heard similar things on this board.

Other than that, I find that it goes at exactly the right pace for the girls, though I seem to recall at least one section on long division that was interminable. Good amount of cumulative review, though. Inexpensive, which is a plus, and if I lose the printed-out pages (which, um, happens occasionally) we can work on the computer. That's less than ideal, but at least it's an option! But I wasn't doing any math at home with them in the second grade.

• Like 1

For one of my kids it actually works and (bonus) it only requires basic guidance from me, rather than hours of trying to explain something that the book isn't. That's what's different. And, yes, we cross out a lot of the questions, but some kids need all those questions. It's cheap and worth a try. :)

Edited by stutterfish
  • Like 1