Menu

Math Lessons for a Living Education

hands-on-mama

Yes, MLFLE can stand alone. I suggest taking the placement test at Master Books to make sure your child is in the correct level.

I use Singapore sparingly with my oldest to help with his mental math skills. He doesn't want to write anything down. He wants to do it all in his head. He is also my kid that "gets" math. He does not like Singapore, but he loves MLFLE. My youngest also uses MLFLE but with no supplementing.

I really only have positive things to say about MLFLE. My children love using the place value village and making their own posters. They are not overwhelmed by the amount of work in each lesson, but they are also learning so much.

I like how MLFLE teaches the concept before the procedure.

Edited by MyLife
  • Like 1

I am on my phone and can not see your signature, so I'm not sure of your kids' ages. I believe Master Books recommends level 1 for grade 1; however, I started my K'er in level 1. For other grades, I would give the placement test.

ETA: corrected my sentence on the placement test because...Well...Dumb autocorrect

Edited by MyLife

All I was going to say was....Pretend the new skill is multiplication...The student would work on multiplication all week but one day review time and temperature, one day review addition and subtraction, one day review rounding to the nearest ten, etc. There are also review chapters where new information is not introduced but all previous concepts are reviewed.

My youngest (K) takes about 10 minutes. The oldest (1st) takes 20 minutes, sometimes a little more if he is working on a project (like making a skip counting poster). Very age appropriate length IMO. Enough problems to learn the concept but not overkill.

• 1 month later...

So....say someone is using Singapore and likes it and is not sure they want to switch to something else. Would MLFLE be a good...not supplement, exactly..... but more like a math reading time? Like to sit down with before in the evening and read through some and maybe do some work if the kids feel like it? Because they are stories, right? Could it be used just as a math reading book, kind of like the Sir Cumference books?

So....say someone is using Singapore and likes it and is not sure they want to switch to something else. Would MLFLE be a good...not supplement, exactly..... but more like a math reading time? Like to sit down with before in the evening and read through some and maybe do some work if the kids feel like it? Because they are stories, right? Could it be used just as a math reading book, kind of like the Sir Cumference books?

Yes, there are stories, but not like what you are thinking with the Sir Cumference books. The Math Lessons for Living Education stories usually introduce a concept and show how it can be used in real life, but most of the teaching is in the following chapter worksheets. So, it's a little bit of a story followed by a week of lessons, a little bit more of the story followed by a week of lessons, etc.

For example, in one story, the kids help bundle carrots in groups of ten, and place value is introduce but then taught slowly throughout the whole book. In the Sir Cumference place value book it covers "all" of place value quickly in one book.

Does that make sense? You could probably see samples of the stories on the Master Books website.

Edited by MyLife

Yes, there are stories, but not like what you are thinking with the Sir Cumference books. The Math Lessons for Living Education stories usually introduce a concept and show how it can be used in real life, but most of the teaching is in the following chapter worksheets. So, it's a little bit of a story followed by a week of lessons, a little bit more of the story followed by a week of lessons, etc.

For example, in one story, the kids help bundle carrots in groups of ten, and place value is introduce but then taught slowly throughout the whole book. In the Sir Cumference place value book it covers "all" of place value quickly in one book.

Does that make sense? You could probably see samples of the stories on the Master Books website.

But if you want a sort of "relaxed" math time at night that involves stories and worksheets, yes, you could use it. I just wouldn't really compare it to Sir Cumference.

Okay, that makes sense. I knew it was not exactly like the Sir Cumference books, just wasn't sure about how much story there was. I saw some examples of pages, but not enough to get a really good feel for what things would entail.

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

Thanks, in the sample it looks like they are wearing a hijab and a prayer cap so I was just wondering.

It does look like that, but the thing that stands out in my mind the most is that they are orphans living in Peru and the twins are pen pals with them. We finished Level 2 not that long ago, and it's really sad that I can't remember the whole story line.

Edited by MyLife