Menu

What spelling meshes with Plaid Phonics?

CatholicMom

How do I provide solid spelling instruction along side phonics? I plan to use MCP Plaid Phonics level B next year for my rising 1st grader.

Would it be crazy to use the words from her Plaid Phonics as her spelling words? I'm afraid to get too inventive, but I don't get why spelling rules aren't taught alongside the phonics rules for the same words. Is there a way to do that? Does Spelling Workout that is put out by MCP mesh with the phonics, or do they cover totally different types of words at the same time? 

TIA

I'm not sure if mcp meshes, but I saw in another thread that mp has a spelling guide to line up spelling workout with the core skills series. Maybe that is what you are looking for? 1st grade is here https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/phonics-and-early-reading/phonics-guide-for-reading-spelling-first-grade/

Second grade here. https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/phonics-and-early-reading/phonics-guide-reading-spelling-second-grade/

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 2

How do I provide solid spelling instruction along side phonics? I plan to use MCP Plaid Phonics level B next year for my rising 1st grader.

Would it be crazy to use the words from her Plaid Phonics as her spelling words? I'm afraid to get too inventive, but I don't get why spelling rules aren't taught alongside the phonics rules for the same words. Is there a way to do that? Does Spelling Workout that is put out by MCP mesh with the phonics, or do they cover totally different types of words at the same time? 

TIA

Yes. MCP Phonics and SW do go together. If you get the teacher's guide for SW, which you probably don't need, it provides the corresponding pages in Plaid Phonics (which are self-explanatory since they work through everything in the same order: consonants with consonants, short vowels with short vowels, and so forth). I think you don't actually need SW unless your child likes doing little crossword and fill-in-the-right-word type activities; you could absolutely use the words in Plaid Phonics OR make up your own list of 10 based on the rule. Really up to you. The best online samples I was able to find of these books are at christianbook.com, by the way...I've never ordered from them, but happened to stumble across their very good samples pages when I was trying to decide which level of these books I needed!

• Like 1

I would just use Plaid Phonics.  No need for another spelling program.

Yes. MCP Phonics and SW do go together. If you get the teacher's guide for SW, which you probably don't need, it provides the corresponding pages in Plaid Phonics (which are self-explanatory since they work through everything in the same order: consonants with consonants, short vowels with short vowels, and so forth). I think you don't actually need SW unless your child likes doing little crossword and fill-in-the-right-word type activities; you could absolutely use the words in Plaid Phonics OR make up your own list of 10 based on the rule. Really up to you. The best online samples I was able to find of these books are at christianbook.com, by the way...I've never ordered from them, but happened to stumble across their very good samples pages when I was trying to decide which level of these books I needed!

Both of these ideas are almost too good to be true!!  

Now that you mention it, I guess Plaid Phonics DOES cover "Spelling" in theory. I just wonder if it's enough.

I love ChristianBook.com, by the way. They have great prices and a very easy site to navigate and order from. 

I wonder if Spelling Workout literally lines up, or if I'd have to skip around and figure out which spelling lists went with which phonics concepts, ya know? Sounds lazy, but I have so much on my plate, I'm not sure I have it in me to do that. Although I guess I could try to rip all the pages out of Spelling Workout and put them "in order" in a binder...

Both of these ideas are almost too good to be true!!

Now that you mention it, I guess Plaid Phonics DOES cover "Spelling" in theory. I just wonder if it's enough.

I love ChristianBook.com, by the way. They have great prices and a very easy site to navigate and order from.

I wonder if Spelling Workout literally lines up, or if I'd have to skip around and figure out which spelling lists went with which phonics concepts, ya know? Sounds lazy, but I have so much on my plate, I'm not sure I have it in me to do that. Although I guess I could try to rip all the pages out of Spelling Workout and put them "in order" in a binder...

Seriously, in first grade Plaid Phonics is enough. Don't make more work for yourself than you have to :).