Menu

How to assess 6th grader with what he knows in math?

Is there a way to easily assess what the weak points are in his math?  I think I've attributed too many mistakes to sloppy handwriting and carelessness, but thought he really got it.  And many things he does.  He can do pretty tough thinking problems in his head, but then turn around and act clueless over something I think is simple.

We went Singapore EB through Singapore 6, including all Intensive Practice and CWP books.  He did an online Mr D Pre Algebra course last year (and did very well) and started Mr D Algebra this year.  I stopped that in December and moved to AOPS Pre-Algebra because I sensed we needed to cement things a little better.

I'd love to find something online that can figure out where he is, because I think he's all over the map. And just jumbled up.   Does Khan Academy do anything like that?  Any other ideas?

My other thought was that his 12yo brain is a pile of mush lately, and that it's not a true picture of what he does know.

I'd love some help, experience, btdt advice.

Our best experience for this is the Iowa Test of Basic Skills.  We use Seton to administer the process.

It is  larger in scope than solely math, but the data they provide back is priceless.  It is broken down by category with a percentile score.

If you are willing to do an entire assessment (more than just math), this would be a good option.

• Like 1

My other thought was that his 12yo brain is a pile of mush lately, and that it's not a true picture of what he does know.

Honestly, I think that's your answer.

Sometimes I have this happen, especially with one of my 12 yos. But then the next day he'll fly through it. And I'm thinking... it's bizarre that he forgot how to subtract yesterday, but obviously since he just aced a page of two step equations, it was brain mush and not really a comment on his true math abilities...

• Like 2

Honestly, I think that's your answer.

Sometimes I have this happen, especially with one of my 12 yos. But then the next day he'll fly through it. And I'm thinking... it's bizarre that he forgot how to subtract yesterday, but obviously since he just aced a page of two step equations, it was brain mush and not really a comment on his true math abilities...

So if it's this, I'm not being empathetic enough or patient.  I just find it irritating.  And he's getting a lousy attitude too.  Any tips for a refresh?  It hasn't been our greatest week by a long shot!

Yup, I found that in those junior high years especially, they seemed to think clearly one day and not the next! I just had my kids correct any wrong problems when we went over their work--no big deal. If it was obvious they understood the material, we moved on. If my student was doing everything mentally, I usually had them demonstrate how to do one or two problems, to see that they understood the procedure and weren't establishing patterns that might come back to bite them later on.