Menu

Frugalistas come on in. March 5-11

mommyoffive

Good for us so far.

Groceries $150/$500 spent. This should get us to the middle of March.

Entertainment $20/$100 spent. We ran out of coffee and for a few days got coffee at Dunkin donuts. We count this as entertainment not groceries because eating out is part of our entertainment budget.

Misc. $9.50/$100. Stupid library late fee. We'll also have to pay a fee for a lost book but not sure how much that'll be.

Savings $200/$1000 put in. The last $800 will come from dh's next paycheck.

I'm proud of us because on Saturday we almost are out for lunch but instead we decided we'd eat at home and treat my siblings and their families to dinner on Sunday. So we made them burgers and fries, my sister chipped in the buns, and my brother has a veggie tray for everyone. So instead of spending $50+ on just my family we spent $30 to feed 4 families.

• Like 1

Good for us so far.

Groceries $150/$500 spent. This should get us to the middle of March.

Entertainment $20/$100 spent. We ran out of coffee and for a few days got coffee at Dunkin donuts. We count this as entertainment not groceries because eating out is part of our entertainment budget.

Misc. $9.50/$100. Stupid library late fee. We'll also have to pay a fee for a lost book but not sure how much that'll be.

Savings $200/$1000 put in. The last $800 will come from dh's next paycheck.

I'm proud of us because on Saturday we almost are out for lunch but instead we decided we'd eat at home and treat my siblings and their families to dinner on Sunday. So we made them burgers and fries, my sister chipped in the buns, and my brother has a veggie tray for everyone. So instead of spending $50+ on just my family we spent $30 to feed 4 families.

I hate paying late fees to the library.  I try to convince myself that I am still saving so much $$ compared to if I was buying all the stuff that I get from there.

I hope the lost book isn't much.

How did the computer that got ruined by your dog turn out?

Smart work on the eating out vs hosting.  I think that is where success lies.  Just turning your mind a bit and figuring out a different way to do something that can save you tons over the year. 

Awesome on the savings.  Is that your house savings that you are getting to 10k this year?  Or is it your retirement  savings?

I hate paying late fees to the library. I try to convince myself that I am still saving so much $$ compared to if I was buying all the stuff that I get from there.

I hope the lost book isn't much.

How did the computer that got ruined by your dog turn out?

Smart work on the eating out vs hosting. I think that is where success lies. Just turning your mind a bit and figuring out a different way to do something that can save you tons over the year.

Awesome on the savings. Is that your house savings that you are getting to 10k this year? Or is it your retirement savings?

Late fees are the worst especially since I live a mile away from the library. But I'm still saving by using the library. I'll find out the lost book cost tomorrow.

We never heard anything about the computer so I'm guessing either the company took care of it or the guy took the hit. I hope he didn't. I will ask our friend who works there next time I see him.

The savings was for toward the $10,000 goal. Our retirement savings are automated so I don't think much of them. All I have to do with them is increase it back to 15% by July (that's my goal.) We had to drop it a bit because of some poor planning on my part last year. But I'm determined to do better this year.

How's March going for you?

Edited by hjffkj

So far so good.

I think grocery store was $25 less than normal. 

Sold some stuff on CL over the weekend.  

Dh did stop at McDonalds this weekend.  Ugh.

Swap.com just picked up my first box.   I am hopeful it will be a good way to get rid of stuff.

That is about all so far.

I still need to pay violin for the semester.

We have to go get our violins fixed this week.  Hoping that is all covered. 

Still haven't gotten the quote for fixing my car.  

Starting to look at hotels and such for our Europe trip and figuring out where we want to go and how much we want to spend.

I need to pay monthly bills this month. 

I do need to check and make sure the tax refund has hit.

I'm a little twitchy this week- so far this month I have spent some money every single day. Some days it was only $2 for an item, but it's more frequent spending than I'm used to. It's not that we're spending wildly, it's just that we've been doing some things that cost money. 

I always make Mexican food on Wednesdays and tomorrow is no different.  New season of Survivor starts tomorrow and I want to do burrito bowls and would really like an avocado. When I grocery shopped on Friday the avocados were too ripe to last until Wednesday. So now I'm being a weirdo and thinking of not buying one JUST to break my spending pattern. 

Yup, weirdo. 

My son had surgery last summer.  Our bill was almost $2000.  We opted to do the payment plan since there is no interest.  The payments were $150 per month.

Well.....I just realized that they have been taking $150 out twice each month.  I called to make it once per month but since we now only owe less than $600, I decided to keep it as is and get it paid off by May.

We are still eating our way through the food we already have.  I did have to pick up a few items.....mostly produce, dairy, eggs, and bread, but I really do need to take some sort of inventory.

• Like 1

If anyone is wanting to do the bank bonus that Frugal posted about it is still open

https://www.wellsfargo.com/jump/checking/prospect-offer/

Oh and $89 flights to Norway

https://www.norwegian.com/NewRouteUSA-Bergen?param_adf=nas.441662&utm_source=NL_Oracle_Responsys_US&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017_W10_DREAMDEALS_SEG_US_US

Edited by mommyoffive

Only one seat left at that price.  

Figures.  And the return flight is $219, still not bad for Europe if you can do it.

So far so good.

I think grocery store was $25 less than normal.

Sold some stuff on CL over the weekend.

Dh did stop at McDonalds this weekend. Ugh.

Swap.com just picked up my first box. I am hopeful it will be a good way to get rid of stuff.

That is about all so far.

I still need to pay violin for the semester.

We have to go get our violins fixed this week. Hoping that is all covered.

Still haven't gotten the quote for fixing my car.

Starting to look at hotels and such for our Europe trip and figuring out where we want to go and how much we want to spend.

I need to pay monthly bills this month.

I do need to check and make sure the tax refund has hit.

Let us know how swap.com goes. And selling things on CL is always nice!.

I'm a little twitchy this week- so far this month I have spent some money every single day. Some days it was only $2 for an item, but it's more frequent spending than I'm used to. It's not that we're spending wildly, it's just that we've been doing some things that cost money.

I always make Mexican food on Wednesdays and tomorrow is no different. New season of Survivor starts tomorrow and I want to do burrito bowls and would really like an avocado. When I grocery shopped on Friday the avocados were too ripe to last until Wednesday. So now I'm being a weirdo and thinking of not buying one JUST to break my spending pattern.

Yup, weirdo.

Not weird at all. Going to the store for one item is risky business because it usually results in more than that one item.

• Like 1

Let us know how swap.com goes. And selling things on CL is always nice!.

I will let you know.  I hope it goes well I have so many clothes from these kids.  I kind of would like to have another one, but time will tell.  I go back and forth on the issue. 

I talked to a mom friend and she was open to some of the old stuff.  So I will have to go through that and give her some.  Hopefully it helps her out as she is a single mom. 

I forgot that I had to register the kids up for swim lessons that start at the end of the month. So I did that today to the tune of $294. I haven't decided where that will come out of the budget, most likely all out entertainment and miscellaneous money. But it also gives me a fun challenge to make that much money this month. Challenge accepted. That Wells Fargo deal would be an easy way to get it mostly covered!

Only one seat left at that price.  

Figures.  And the return flight is $219, still not bad for Europe if you can do it.

If you are wanting to go to Europe here are some good deals 

https://www.travelzoo.com/vacations/europe/Prague-4-Star-Trip-for-Less-than-the-Cost-of-Flights-2450611/?utm_source=top20_us&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2450611&utm_campaign=us_top20_2017_10_deal%3a2450611

Prauge with airfare and hotels for $499

https://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-gate-1-travel-madrid

$599

Not weird at all. Going to the store for one item is risky business because it usually results in more than that one item.

You're totally right. I would likely buy something like ice cream or M and Ms for dessert. Because it's the first night of Survivor and I have no sugar in the house. 

I forgot that I had to register the kids up for swim lessons that start at the end of the month. So I did that today to the tune of $294. I haven't decided where that will come out of the budget, most likely all out entertainment and miscellaneous money. But it also gives me a fun challenge to make that much money this month. Challenge accepted. That Wells Fargo deal would be an easy way to get it mostly covered!

You can do one and your dh could do one.  $500 Swim lessons covered.