Menu

Order of topics in Foerster's algebra 1

We're on chapter 7 and will probably need the summer to complete the remaining chapters, but why does Foester's introduce quadratic formula problems (like all those word problems about vertical motion) right in the middle of the alg 1 course when so many others, including AoPS don't tackle this until the last chapter?

It's been frustrating for me because we like to supplement and several resources I like to use don't cover this until the end with the assumption that you've covered other things that Foerster's hasn't yet.

I'm not wise enough about math to understand the shift in Foerster's. DD is getting it pretty well, but I'm just struggling a bit because some of the supplements assume you've already done other bits that haven't been covered by Foerster's yet.

I was using Foerster as a supplement to AoPS last year, but set it aside because I didn't want to introduce the quadratic formula until we got there in AoPS. Foerster's explanation for this is in the Foreword to the Teacher. I'm willing to type it out if you don't find it. Basically, he says it is so students can work more realistic word problems.

OK.. I can see that and it is rich with word problems but between this and the over emphasis on problems requiring a calculator, I think I am not going to continue with it for algebra 2. I like so many parts about it. The build up in chapter 6 leading to the quadratic formula was so great for DD but I'm getting annoyed!

I agree. I did like Foerster (we finished it this year as algebra review), and I considered continuing with the series. But I've heard that algebra 2 Precalculus is even more calculator dependent than algebra 1. I don't see it being a good fit for us.

ETA: I remembered wrong. I should have written Precalculus above.

Edited by TracyP

I think now I'm going to use AoPS as a review of algebra following Foerster which sounds like the opposite of what you did! But then we are switching to Jacob's for geometry and I was planning to use DO so I will probably just stick with it at that point.

• Like 1

We didn't used Foerster for Alg 1, but DD is using it for Alg 2 this year. Other than some sections where it asks them to check their graphs, we haven't found that it is heavy on the calculator use. 

I'm very anti-calculator for things where the kid should be using their brain & some scratch paper. DH & I both got through engineering degrees in the 90s without owning a graphing calculator.

DD uses a website called desmos to check her graphs once she's done them on paper. She has a scientific non-graphing calculator that she will sometimes use if there are long or large calculations. Is that what you are referring to?

• Like 2

No I mean that there are loads of radical problems with decimals and large non perfect squares. Real world, yes, but having come from more the AoPS method where if you've set up the problem correctly the arithmetic can largely be handled with mental math, it's quite different.

• Like 1

Yeah, I suppose it depends on perspective. Compared to AoPS where I don't remember ever using a calculator, it feels like a lot of problems require a calculator. Upthread I wrote that Algebra 2 required a lot more calculator use, but it was actually Precalc being discussed. I was thinking of this thread. I'll go fix that in my other post.

Ah! We are not a AOPS family. We need lots of story problem work, so Foerster Alg 2 has been just right for us this year. (You could probably work backward from the solution guide to find prettier problems vs the ugly ones you are referring to.)

I have Foerster pre-Calc and it promises to be calculator intensive on purpose. We don't plan on using it.

Good luck.