Menu

WWE- Main book or workbook?t

aromaverde

I used that for the first year. It took a fair amount of time for me to find the "just exactly right" selections. I wasn't comfortable doing it on the fly because I there I would either start picking things that didn't necessarily illustrate the there or else I would start skipping the lessons random, busy weeks. It just wasn't where I wanted to spend my time, so the second year i shifted to the workbooks.

• Like 2

I used that for the first year. It took a fair amount of time for me to find the "just exactly right" selections. I wasn't comfortable doing it on the fly because I there I would either start picking things that didn't necessarily illustrate the there or else I would start skipping the lessons random, busy weeks. It just wasn't where I wanted to spend my time, so the second year i shifted to the workbooks.

This, except I bought the instructor text and decided not to use it at all (if I had, I'm sure my experience would be exactly as stated above). I knew I'd rather use the workbooks and save my mental energy for other subjects and tasks. The workbooks are well done and are very easy to teach from - totally open-and-go. Unless the flexibility is crucial to you, I'd go with the workbooks. They get it done.

The instructor text is good reference, though, for general writing and narration guidelines. I still have mine and refer to it occasionally.

• Like 3

Both, sorry!

I adore The Complete Writer and have reread it many times, we base our writing philosophy on it (mostly).

However, there are some weeks where finding the right passage is too difficult. And some of the selections in the workbook are awesome and have led to great, interesting reads! I don't feel tied to using the whole workbook as written, it's a tool.

• Like 1

I have a copy of the main book because I like to read through it from time to time. It's great for picking up ideas. However, for when I'm actually using WWE I need the open and go of the workbooks. I just bought the pdf and print it all out at the beginning of the year.

• Like 1

I wanted to just use the Instructor text. For DS7 level 1, I used it in conjunction with the SOTW comprehension questions. That works fine when your just looking for a factual narration. (I didn't pay any attention to the copywork and used FLL to inspire copywork selections.)

Now, in WWE level 2, we needed to begin picking out the important points in the passage and summarizing. It was very hard for me to make up appropriate guided questions on my own. The WWE2 workbook lays all that out for me. So, I've official switched to the workbook.

I do think if I didn't have so many little children that I'd prefer the Instructor's Guide. But the workbook gives me one less thing to think about.

Edited by carriede
  • Like 1

Definitely use the workbooks.  I have both and used the workbooks for DD.  I didn't make copies because I thought by the time DS got to it I could just use the book.  hahahahaha no.  Thankfully I kept the workbooks so I just use regular paper and write out the copywork myself.  So I suggest making copies of the worksheets if you have another child that will use it in the future.