Menu

Frankenstein?

I'm looking to enrol my son, who is 12, into CLRC's Intro to Lit and Writing starting in September.

Do you think that Frankenstein is appropriate for a not overly sensitive 12 year old boy? He much prefers reading non-fiction and I'm worried that this book might be to mature/difficult. 

He is currently reading "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" - to give you an idea of his current comfortable reading level.

My son, who was 12 at the time, was enrolled in CLRC's Intro to Lit and Composition. He read Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Chosen, and other books. We felt the literature selections were excellent. (I recall some parents were upset by To Kill a Mockingbird...) If your son is not overly sensitive, I believe he will enjoy the books and the discussions. My son did.

My son, who was 12 at the time, was enrolled in CLRC's Intro to Lit and Composition. He read Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Chosen, and other books. We felt the literature selections were excellent. (I recall some parents were upset by To Kill a Mockingbird...) If your son is not overly sensitive, I believe he will enjoy the books and the discussions. My son did.

• Like 1

I love Frankenstein as a great work of literature. think it would be fine. I don't know that a 12 yr old will get the same meaning of its underlying messages that an older person does, but I wouldn't have an issue with a 12 yr old reading it. (My personal hope would be that they like it enough to revisit when they are older, even in adulthood.)