Menu

Wanna cruise to Alaska with other homeschoolers this summer?

I posted about this once a few months ago, but it's not too late . . . We've been wanting to do this for 20 years, and now that we live close enough that we don't have to fly to the port, the cruise is more affordable. Also, it's our 20th anniversary this coming year, and we wanted to do something as a family.

When we found out about Homeschooling on the Seas, we couldn't resist. If Alaska doesn't suit you, they have other destinations too. I think that cruising with other homeschoolers and doing some fun learning activities on the ship is just a great idea. (I'm not affiliated with Homeschool on the Seas at all.)

So, I thought I would give it one more shot to post about it. It would be great to have some other WTMers on there.

So, I thought I would give it one more shot to post about it. It would be great to have some other WTMers on there.

I'm not big on cruises, but Alaska is the one place I would love to cruise. And doing it while having classes and learning about the ports of call would be great. We won't be there, but have a great time and tell us about it when you're home!

I posted about this once a few months ago, but it's not too late . . . We've been wanting to do this for 20 years, and now that we live close enough that we don't have to fly to the port, the cruise is more affordable. Also, it's our 20th anniversary this coming year, and we wanted to do something as a family.

When we found out about Homeschooling on the Seas, we couldn't resist. If Alaska doesn't suit you, they have other destinations too. I think that cruising with other homeschoolers and doing some fun learning activities on the ship is just a great idea. (I'm not affiliated with Homeschool on the Seas at all.)

We can't go just yet (pesky baseboards and stoopid second bathroom come first - pfffttt ;)), so I will simply have to sit home and envy you (and hope you take scads of pictures and post them!!! :D)

I looked into that when you showed it before, but I have one concern that maybe you can answer. It looks like it is secular curriculum, but how much do they talk about things that could be religious/political hot button issues (ie: evolution, environmental issues, etc...)

I noticed you have an 11yog and a 9yob so I bet our kids would make great playmates! :-) We can't go this year, but I think it sounds like an awesome way to see Alaska.

I looked into that when you showed it before, but I have one concern that maybe you can answer. It looks like it is secular curriculum, but how much do they talk about things that could be religious/political hot button issues (ie: evolution, environmental issues, etc...)

I noticed you have an 11yog and a 9yob so I bet our kids would make great playmates! :-) We can't go this year, but I think it sounds like an awesome way to see Alaska.

I talked to them about this when we were considering the cruise

I talked to them about this when we were considering the cruise. This was a concern for me as well. They told me they were sensitive to these kinds of issues and tried to stick to Alaskan history, wildlife, and culture in a way that didn't delve into hot topics too much. Since my children are a little older, we plan to attend with them and discuss things outside of class if necessary. I'm hoping this won't be too much of a problem. At the very least, I hope I've let them know there's at least one family on this particular cruise that is concerned about these kinds of issues.:) I certainly don't plan to be a pain about it, but I will discuss our worldview and the different worldview presented (outside of class).