Menu

Writing & Rhetoric Question

UCF612

My oldest son did W&R Fable last year (3rd grade).  I talked with a CAP rep at the Expo and we decided based on my son's writing ability he should skip Narrative 1 and go to Narrative 2 for 4th grade.  He's about 2 lessons away from completing it so I'm planning to order the next level. But I'm looking at samples of Chreia & Proverb.  It just doesn't look all that relevant to me writing skills wise.  What is the need for this book or could we skip ahead to Book 5?  Is that a huge mistake?  Will the skills in Chreia really be skill building steps?  I'm sure they have reasons for what exists in that level but I'd love to know the thoughts from The Hive.  Seems like when I've read posts here about W&R a lot of people jumped ship at Chreia but I like what I see in the future books.  So advice from those who have BTDT or have more insight.  Thanks!

I would not skip book 4. It covers paragraph formation and topic sentences, concluding paragraphs, supporting ideas with evidence, writing paragraphs of comparison and contrast, literal and figurative language, paraphrasing, outlining, and active and passive voice. On top of that, it really gets the student thinking about qualities and actions that make a person praiseworthy (and people that have the opposite quality). Through the book it gets the student used to writing a six-paragraph expository essay each lesson, and book 5 begins with the assumption that the student is ready to continue at that pace.