Menu

A fun surprise book idea....plus books my daughter recommends

BatmansWife

Last summer, when I was finalizing our school order, I thought how I really wanted to sign my daughter up for a book subscription (she was 12 at the time).  I thought it would be fun for her to get a new surprise book each month.  I found several sites that offer such a thing....but I didn't like that I would have no idea what the books would be.  I was hoping to find a site that had several options that you could choose from each month, but maybe only one place offered that.  Most of them I was able to view past books that had been sent to the subscribers, and sometimes up to half of them I didn't really feel were appropriate for her.  Also, for the price of the subscription...I figured I could find my own books for much cheaper.  So that's what I decided to do.  After a lot of searching and reading reviews, I had our school order about 20 + books. She had no idea what I had chosen.  I had found several tubes of wrapping paper from a garage sale and wrapped each book.  When she finishes one, she gets to choose another (as long as she's keeping up with her BkSk history readers and the rest of her school work...which she does).  She LOVES this surprise book idea and wants me to do it every year.  This has greatly increased her desire to read and she has found so many "keeper" books that she just loves and will never part with.  She is always overcome with excitement when she's about to unwrap a book...she's literally jumping up and down and then breaks out into oohhs and aahh's when she sees her new book.  This simple idea has added so much to our school year this year.  I can't recommend it enough.  

I'm on my search again for books for next school year.  If you'd like to see the list of potential books, I posted about that here.  I'd love some feedback on those books I'm considering, since I have only read 1 of them.  

Here is a recommended list of the favorites my daughter has read this year, and some of these were from last year or so.  So, age-wise she was 12, with some read at late age 11 and early age 13 (she turned 13 in October).  She has also started to write book reviews on her blog...so check that out if you'd like, it's in my signature.   

The Green Ember (probably her most favorite right now)

The Doldrums

The BFG 

North of Nowhere

A Year Without Autumn

The Wild Robot

Nooks and Crannies

The Kite Fighters

Wolf Hollow

The One and Only Ivan

The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles

The Doll People series

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate (I pre-read this book before giving it to her, because to be honest...I wasn't exactly sure what they meant by "evolution".  It's a wonderful book!  Very much into science and nature...a wonderful relationship between a grandfather and his granddaughter)

The Curious World of Calpurnia Tate (she is currently reading this one now, and I will read it when she's done...I really enjoyed the first one)

Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library

Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics

The Rise and Fall of Mt Majestic

Book Scavenger (she doesn't know it, but Book Scavenger The Unbreakable Code is still wrapped up for her to read)

The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency the Case of the Missing Moonstone (the next one, The Case of the Girl in Grey, is also a wrapped up surprise)

One of the sweetest things she's said to me lately was just last week.  She said, "Mom, just think...if you wouldn't have forced me to read Shilo last year...and if you wouldn't have gotten all of these books...I probably still wouldn't be a reader and I would have missed out on so many great books!!"  It's true...prior to me basically making her read, she just didn't want to read.  She did, and still does, love for me to read to her...but she was not a book lover reading on her own until probably late age 11.  So, if you are facing something similar...there is hope!  

Edited by BatmansWife
  • Like 5

One of the sweetest things she's said to me lately was just last week.  She said, "Mom, just think...if you wouldn't have forced me to read Shilo last year...and if you wouldn't have gotten all of these books...I probably still wouldn't be a reader and I would have missed out on so many great books!!"  It's true...prior to me basically making her read, she just didn't want to read.  She did, and still does, love for me to read to her...but she was not a book lover reading on her own until probably late age 11.  So, if you are facing something similar...there is hope!  

FABULOUS idea...

And just tearing up at your DD's sweet comment, but esp. at her SUCCESS! It's so wonderful when our struggling students clear that hurdle and can take pride in their hard work. And so heart-touching esp. when THEY can see how much you were cheering for them and working to help make that happen. :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

That is so cool!  I had been thinking to do something similar. DS13 told me he would like one of those "crates" they sell. A surprise of things to do each month, maybe with a theme, but I couldn't find any I liked, so I might make my own.

And DD10 wanted to join one of those book of the month clubs, but I had the same concerns. Thanks for the idea of wrapping!

• Like 1

Your idea sparked a new trend in our house this school year - I buy one new book for the house each month. Mostly, it is a new book in a series the kids are already reading, but it has also meant a new raptor book for ds#1 and ds#2 might get something at some point.

Thanks for the idea last year even though we do it a bit differently. :)

• Like 1