Menu

Evanthe would you be willing to post

mama25angels

Hi, I'm definitely not a math expert, but I'll post how we've been doing math this year.  Three of my kids have been doing living math.  I'll list by kid.  We do this daily.  I mostly use Kitchen Table Math for reference on what to cover, but I have a notebook filled with living math topics and ideas from different blogs, websites, etc.  I started doing this, because last year, one of my daughters worked through like a third of a math program (Saxon) and never missed a problem - EVER.  It was weird.  They all 3 started telling me that they hated math...and I started thinking that what they hated was repetition.  The three of them are actually pretty good with math.

3rd grader:

1.  Math facts practice - flashcards, usually

2.  Dice game, math game (like Snap it Up)

3.  Read a math reader from the library 

4.  Teach a new concept with cuisinaire rods OR give her review problems to do in her math notebook.

6th grader:

1.  Do a page in Saxon "Tests and Worksheets" booklet (this has pages and pages of math facts practice)

2.  Read a math reader or math project book.  Work on the problems.  A great example of this is Perfectly Perilous Book of Math (I think that's the title).  She LOVED this book.  Each chapter is a scary adventure that the kid has to use math to solve and see if they'll survive.  She's also liked Penrose the Mathematical Cat and different math project books that we've found from the library.  Yesterday, she used our Zometool set to build different polyhedrons from one of her math readers.

3.  Teach a new concept OR do review problems in her math notebook.

9th grader:

This is kind of a mess right now.  I don't feel comfortable just letting go, so she and I are working on the lessons in the Saxon high school textbooks, doing the review problems...  Afterwards, she works on a living math book and we work through the problems together.  Right now, she's reading Murderous Maths "The Phantom X" - it's the algebra book.  She just learned how to solve quadratic equations in there.  I plan to go through a couple of the Zaccaro books for older kids with her (How to Be a Problem-Solving Genius and Real World Algebra).  She's my oldest, so I'm still feeling uneasy about teaching high school anyway.  When my younger ones are in high school, I'll probably really loosen up.  Lol. 

I hope something out of there helps!

• Like 3

Hi, I'm definitely not a math expert, but I'll post how we've been doing math this year. Three of my kids have been doing living math. I'll list by kid. We do this daily. I mostly use Kitchen Table Math for reference on what to cover, but I have a notebook filled with living math topics and ideas from different blogs, websites, etc. I started doing this, because last year, one of my daughters worked through like a third of a math program (Saxon) and never missed a problem - EVER. It was weird. They all 3 started telling me that they hated math...and I started thinking that what they hated was repetition. The three of them are actually pretty good with math.

3rd grader:

1. Math facts practice - flashcards, usually

2. Dice game, math game (like Snap it Up)

3. Read a math reader from the library

4. Teach a new concept with cuisinaire rods OR give her review problems to do in her math notebook.

6th grader:

1. Do a page in Saxon "Tests and Worksheets" booklet (this has pages and pages of math facts practice)

2. Read a math reader or math project book. Work on the problems. A great example of this is Perfectly Perilous Book of Math (I think that's the title). She LOVED this book. Each chapter is a scary adventure that the kid has to use math to solve and see if they'll survive. She's also liked Penrose the Mathematical Cat and different math project books that we've found from the library. Yesterday, she used our Zometool set to build different polyhedrons from one of her math readers.

3. Teach a new concept OR do review problems in her math notebook.

9th grader:

This is kind of a mess right now. I don't feel comfortable just letting go, so she and I are working on the lessons in the Saxon high school textbooks, doing the review problems... Afterwards, she works on a living math book and we work through the problems together. Right now, she's reading Murderous Maths "The Phantom X" - it's the algebra book. She just learned how to solve quadratic equations in there. I plan to go through a couple of the Zaccaro books for older kids with her (How to Be a Problem-Solving Genius and Real World Algebra). She's my oldest, so I'm still feeling uneasy about teaching high school anyway. When my younger ones are in high school, I'll probably really loosen up. Lol.

I hope something out of there helps!

Thank you so much, your post is very helpful. How much time do you spend daily on math? Does that time include reading the living math books or is that done at a separate time?

• Like 2

Evanthe,

Would you kindly list some additional math readers/literature that your kiddos have enjoyed?

My mathy son would enjoy these in addition to what he's already done.  I purchased Murderous Maths for him some time ago, but he never did seem to get into them.  But I'd like to try again with something else.  

• Like 3

How much time do you spend daily on math? Does that time include reading the living math books or is that done at a separate time?

I'm trying to guess here.  We do all the math during the same session.  This is actually a really inefficient way to do math (compared to how some parents handle math).  I have to physically sit down with them the entire time and I play the games with them, read the math books with them, work problems with them, etc.   :001_unsure: 

So, times...The 9th grader probably spends close to an hour on math, but she does a lot on her own.  The 6th grader and 3rd grader spend maybe 30-40 minutes (probably closer to 20-30 for the 3rd grader).  ?    

• Like 1

Evanthe,

Would you kindly list some additional math readers/literature that your kiddos have enjoyed?

My mathy son would enjoy these in addition to what he's already done.  I purchased Murderous Maths for him some time ago, but he never did seem to get into them.  But I'd like to try again with something else.  

I'll came back and make a list.  I have an entire notebook full of living math notes.  

And some of the Murderous Maths books are hard!  We were only 50 pages into The Phantom X and there's the quadratic equation already... (!)

• Like 2

I'll came back and make a list.  I have an entire notebook full of living math notes.  

And some of the Murderous Maths books are hard!  We were only 50 pages into The Phantom X and there's the quadratic equation already... (!)

He's only 10 and I bought them for him when he was 8 turning 9 sooooo....the content very well may have been a little above him, lol.  

I still have them (because they were $$$ and they took FOREVER to get here) and will pull them out again some time down the road. 

• Like 2

I'll came back and make a list. I have an entire notebook full of living math notes.

And some of the Murderous Maths books are hard! We were only 50 pages into The Phantom X and there's the quadratic equation already... (!)

Also, would you be willing to post about your integrated HS science? Thanks

Evanthe,

Here's some stuff we've enjoyed this year (these cover a bunch of different ages, though, so some of them were for my youngest dd).  I basically just go to the library and get what looks like fun.

The Murderous Maths boxed set (my high schooler is The Phantom X right now - it will take her awhile to get through these books)

Millions, Billions and Trillions

Penrose the Mathematical Cat

Anna's Magic Seeds

Millions of Cats

Math Potatoes

Sir Cumference and All the Kings Tens - actually all the Sir Cumference books are awesome, IMO

Sir Cumference and the Viking's Map

Working with Fractions

The Book of Perfectly Perilous Math - my 6th grader absolutely loved this one

Math Trek

Perimeter, Area and Volume 

What in the World: Numbers in Nature

A Second, A Minute, A Week with Days in It (this must've been for my 3rd grader)

Bedtime Math

Amazing Math Projects You Can Build Yourself - this was a neat book

G is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book

Drawing Geometry 

Doodle Yourself Smart Geometry

Exploring the World of Mathematics (this is one of the Tiner books, but we "reenacted" some of the math in here - like the 3-4-5 triangle with rope/knots)

A Blueprint for Geometry: A Math Projects Series (my son REALLY liked this book)

Hands-On Equations

I have for reference Kitchen Table Math books 1 and 2...also, I have all of the Singapore texts, so I've used those to introduce a topic before, also.  I also have all of the Life of Fred books from Apples to Algebra 1 (so we read those off and on).

My list for books I want to work on in the future:

For the older kids...

Zaccaro's How to Be a Problem Solving Genius

Real World Algebra

Moscow Puzzles

Calculus for and by Young People (not sure if we will ever get to this)

Patty Paper Geometry

Crossing the River with Dogs

Discovering Trigonometry with Sticks and Shadows (Lol - I can just picture us out in the yard in Texas with a bunch of dried sticks, trying to do trig)

Crimes and Mathdemeanors

The Math Book

Calculus for Cats

For the younger ones...

Math Trek 2

The I Hate Mathematics! Book

Math for Smarty Pants

The Flying Birds

Anything else I can find at the library that looks like fun for the younger ones.

The Zaccaro books for younger kids

• Like 3

Also, would you be willing to post about your integrated HS science? Thanks

Our integrated science was the one big failure this school year.  I think we only lasted a month.  It was just too overwhelming.  I was loosely following the science for Ambleside Online's Year 7.  I think, ultimately, I was just trying to do way too much. 

There is an Integrated Science social group!  Some of the parents on there might be more knowledgeable on how to implement that successfully (I just wasn't able to).

• Like 1