Menu

EIW Scoring services...worth the money?

I am looking at maybe buying the Scoring Services offered by Essentials in Writing this year....but for a year, it's nearly $100.  Can't decide if it would be worth it or not. 

I am not a writer, I can't teach writing and I have a hard time grading writing in an objective way.  SO, for those purposes, it would worth the money IF the feedback from EIW is helpful to the student.  They only grade one writing per lesson...so they don't help along the way...just the final writing.

WE LOVE EIW and do not plan to change from that...

so if you have used this service, I would love to hear your feedback.

thanks.

• Like 1

I was wondering the same thing. From what I was told, there would be between 9-11 assignments for the whole year that would be graded. They only do the evaluations for the writing course not the lit course.  Aside from the grade, you will get a paragraph analysis for each writing you submitted covering strong and weak points as well as suggestions for improvement. They do not do a line by line evaluation with spelling/grammar/alternate word usage suggestions (like "....." would be a better choice here or this part of the sentence is confusing).  If you are looking for a line by line evaluation, Kolbe Academy (Kolbe.org) EES services would work for you better. We have used them for number of years now. 20 or 40 submissions (depending what you choose) per year can be from any subject on any topic either from Kolbe curriculum or your curriculum.

• Like 1

I was wondering the same thing. From what I was told, there would be between 9-11 assignments for the whole year that would be graded. They only do the evaluations for the writing course not the lit course. Aside from the grade, you will get a paragraph analysis for each writing you submitted covering strong and weak points as well as suggestions for improvement. They do not do a line by line evaluation with spelling/grammar/alternate word usage suggestions (like "....." would be a better choice here or this part of the sentence is confusing). If you are looking for a line by line evaluation, Kolbe Academy (Kolbe.org) EES services would work for you better. We have used them for number of years now. 20 or 40 submissions (depending what you choose) per year can be from any subject on any topic either from Kolbe curriculum or your curriculum.

Must you be enrolled with Kolbe to use their service? Tia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must you be enrolled with Kolbe to use their service? Tia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always enrolled mine in their writing course which is $35 per year and then EES cost. Since we use our own curriculum, I send in assignments on many different topics: research topic on Abraham Lincoln, another one on US Constitution; compare and contrast on copper pipes vs PVC pipes; a book report; an essay on Titan, one of Saturn moons; compare and contrast Dalek vs Cyberman just to name a few. As you can see we go with topic of what ever interests ds at that time. Not very typical compared with what I hear from other moms who have kids similar ages but it works for ds and he turns in better writing. Also, if instructor that was assigned to you just does not work for you, you can always call them and ask to be assigned a different one and there is never any questions asked. Turn around is usually 3-5 days. Anything over a week is very unusual- only happened 3 times in 3 years.

• Like 1