Menu

Art Advice?

LindaOz

I am trying to decide on an art program for my 12 and 13 yos and am looking at either Artistic Pursuits or How Great Thou Art. I've looked at the websites but I was hoping that someone could share their experiences with either of these programs.

What did you like/not like about either of them?

How successful were they?

How did you kids like them?

Question, questions :)

Thanks for any help.

I'm using Artistic Pursuits with a 7 year old, the first book & I liked it enough to buy the 2nd book.

I love that it correlates with history- we're doing ancients and it's had a few projects about Ancient Rome for example. My dd loves doing it and the materials for the first book at least were easy to find. The second book I know has some stranger things like a brayer, which I had to order from Rainbow Resource since I coiuldn't find one. I like the questions you can ask to prompt the kids as they study the picture because I'm pretty clueless about art. I have noticed that when she sees art other than from the program or in a museum she pays more attention to it.

I don't like the size of the art provided, it's on flimsy paper and barely bigger than a postcard. But most of the projects were well recieved & different from what we've done before. They do take a while to complete- yesterday it took 3 hours to do the project but my dd gets really involved. I don't know anything about the other program.

I've noticed a few people comment on the lack of actual art instruction in Artistic Pursuits. I guess it depends whether that's going to matter to your kids or not...

Hmmm! Yes, I've gathered that in regards to the lower levels. I'm wondering though if there is more instruction in the Junior High levels. Does anyone know? How Great Thou Art does seem to have a lot of instruction on how to do things.

I really would like some art instruction, as art isn't exactly my forte........ :tongue_smilie:

Thanks to those who answered. I have decided to go with How Great Thou Art. While researching this I found that these resources are available from currclick.com as ebooks which I find easier (and cheaper) to work with, so it has worked out really well.

While waiting for the books to download, my 10yo informed me that she really likes the Barry Stebbing resources because she likes the way he teaches step by step. Phew! Looks like I made the right decision for us....:thumbup:

Thanks again.