Menu

Is BJU math kind of a merger of SM & Saxon?

I have used both and BJU is not like SM. It is a traditional mastery-based program with less spiral than Saxon. I'm trying to think of what would be a blend of SM and Saxon - maybe Schiller math? I have never used Schiller, only saw the samples, so that could be way off base. Schiller may be the only curriculum I have not used.

We loved BJU for lower levels - it is fun, easy and colorful. If you use the TM verbatim it will bog you down and the lessons will take a long time. It can be simplified.  I also like CLE through about the 5th grade.

I love things about Singapore Math but when they start doing algebra without actually using algebra, that's just silly to me (sorry, SM fans). My kids groaned about SM more than any other curriculum.

Saxon --  did not like it at all for lower grades but the upper levels (Algebra 1, 2, Geometry,  Advanced Math) are great prep for the SAT and ACT. It drills like crazy and makes sure students know how to solve problems.

AOPS is also a lot of fun but I like to use it as a supplement. For us there is not enough drill.

ETA: I would not hesitate to use BJU at lower levels. It was solid.

Edited by Vida Winter

The pre algebra 8th grade is more like an algebra 1 course IMO and it was just too hard for my daughter. I would definately continue and use BJU for 7th grade, if I were you.

Also, I would take a look at the scope and sequence of the high school math books. They may work great for you guys. Maybe we are just not mathy . Who knows. It just brought tears to my household.

We are using time4learning algebra 1 this year and my dd loves it. She is making As and is understanding the concepts.

Another curriculum we have loved and used was Math u See. Some say it is behind in high school math, while others say they are just fine and on target.

Edited by Peacefulisle
  • Like 1

My 9th grader is using the Bob Jones Algebra 1 with DVDs, and it is very hard. I have a difficult time teaching it to myself, and then helping her. My cousin used to teach algebra at public school, and I had him look at the book last week. He said it was crazy for a 9th grade text, full of chemistry problems and extremely hard word problems. I decided to put it away and ordered Key to Algebra series. I am going to have her complete this series and maybe use the Algebra 1 next year, maybe not.

My 7th grade son in using the Bob Jones Fundamentals of Math and is having no trouble at all, other than disliking Mr. Harmon (the teacher on the DVDs).

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

Just wanted to point out that there *is* a jump in difficulty between the newer editions and older editions of BJU math.  A less mathy child will do better with the older editions (but the DVD's and DLO is using the newer editions).  The TM's (in older and newer editions) also give different schedules for advanced or standard courses, which is helpful if you need to cut back.