Menu

Doubting myself

TCoppock

In my heart I believe that my son is progressing along nicely but every once in a while I get this feeling that I am doing him a diservice by homeschooling. Although I excelled in school, I notice as I am teaching there is so much that I never learned. I have to study his lessons ahead of time to make sure I am able to answer questions. I find myself saying over and over, "Wow, I never knew that." I honestly don't have a problem letting my son know that I don't know the answer because I think it is beneficial to him to see how I go about finding them, but somedays I think he would excel SOOO much more if he had a teacher who knew what they were doing. When my son was in private school I was always told how gifted he was and how advanced he was for his grade level. At the time, I was able to see a difference between his education level and that of his peers, but I no longer see this. I am not the type of mom who pushes. I let DS move at his own steady pace and follow his passions. The only thing I know we are behind in is writing which we are steadily working on. I wonder if I should be doing more to help him advance to his full potential or continue to allow him to stay at a more relaxed pace as long as he continues to move forward. I've looked into EPGY courses but they seem a little dry from the little I was able to read. How do you know that you are doing "ENOUGH" for your child's education?? Do you base it off a book like, What Your... Grader Needs to Know or something like that??

I'm a former teacher and teachers don't know it all either. :D You wouldn't believe how many times I taught myself along with the class. If your dc is progressing nicely, you are doing a great job! And remember, as your dc's mom, you care more about his education than any teacher. That is why you are on this forum. You research and study to find the very BEST way to teach your child. No teacher is going to put that much effort into one child unless it is their own.;)

I've been an adjunct professor for some nine years now, and frankly I learn things every semester, even if I'm teaching the same class with the same textbooks that I've used before. And periodically a student will stump me, and I'll have to go look something up.

Then, we've homeschooled from the beginning, and I'm still learning. My sixth grader surpasses me in some areas, and he asks questions all the time that I have to go look up. I'm mostly OK with the third grader.:001_smile:

We do test every year as part of state requirements, but I still know that I'm doing a great job. They are way above the state standards, and do beautifully on standardized testing each year. More important though, they are great kids -- respectful and helpful even when I'm not around. They're also very curious and thoughtful, which is not something I see in the classroom kids we know.

I wouldn't trade it for anything!

I have found that using a standardized test really helps me (I have to give the test "out of level" in order for there to be enough information to go on, but it's worth it).

I'm always filled with self doubt. I want to do the very best I can, and I want my children to get the very best from me (of course, I always fall short of where *I* want to be myself).

By testing every fall, I can see where we're doing very well, and areas I need to re-focus attention.

For example, overall, I'm really happy with the math curriculum we're using; however the testing identified a weak area or two that I've ordered supplemental materials (Singapore Challenging Word Problems, for example). I also go over the test results to show my children where they are doing well, and where we need to work a little harder (my oldest is not my self-motivated child, so I have to constantly remind him *why* he's doing thus and so...).

While testing is far from perfect, I have found it reassuring overall. It's also great when I can show the test results to family members who wonder aloud if child X or Y might be better off in public school. :tongue_smilie:

Like you, I'm always learning something -- and it's keeping my brain young :D. I'm surprised at how much I remember from school, and how much I never learned. I also view my job as one for broadening my children's interests. For example, while we followed rabbit trails for my oldest son in K/1st, and he did more with Dinosaurs than I can even wrap my brain around -- the last two years have had more direction from me. While ds still loves dinosaurs, and will still read voraciously about them, he's also beginning to enjoy astronomy, rocket science and other subjects. He's becoming fascinated with science fiction... and it's opening whole new windows of thought, imagination, and discussion.

I'm glad he's not in a "regular" school, because I know that while he would enjoy certain aspects, there are others that would be snuffed out.

Keep plugging, and enjoy the ride!

I think there is nothing better than for your son to see you learning right along with him, sharing his enthusiasm. I'm convinced that is one of the reasons that we love history so much. I just loved going through SOTW and learning right along with my kids and they sensed my enthusiasm and they got excited about it also.

somedays I think he would excel SOOO much more if he had a teacher who knew what they were doing

The problem with the school (that theoretically has a teacher who knows what they are doing) is that the teacher has so many other students to teach at the same time. Students who may not learn at the pace your ds does.

I assume that if your ds was in private school then you have some money to spend on his education. Starting in January, I hired a Latin tutor. This retired gentleman knows SO much about languages and history. Ds doesn't truly appreciate it, but I do. Plus, with a retired tutor, we still have a wonderful, flexible schedule. So, there's an idea for you.

I found that the elementary years, I did fine on my own perhaps studying ahead a bit, but as we get closer to high school, I am very willing to let go of a few of the subjects that I can't do well.

How do you know that you are doing "ENOUGH" for your child's education?? Do you base it off a book like, What Your... Grader Needs to Know or something like that??

In the early years, I figured if he was doing 3rd grade math in 2nd grade that I was doing fine. Standardized tests later on are also good for calming those fears.

I don't believe that you will fail if you are willing to put some time in to guide your ds. Good luck!

Edited by Sue in St Pete

I am a former teacher as well. I taught jr. high science for years. There was so much I learned right along with the kids. Don't doubt yourself or feel like you're not good enough. If you don't know something, look it up. The information is out there and you'll be teaching your child to be a self-motivated learner anyhow.