Menu

LOL, Emotional Reaction to Derek Owens precalculus

Thought y'all would get a kick out of this story.

My friend called me tonight giggling after her high school senior's weekly math tutoring session. They have used Derek Owens for geometry and Alg 2, and are just now starting precalculus. Their method with this daughter has been to schedule weekly tutoring sessions, because the bit of live accountability keeps her moving along.

Anyway, the tutor, who works with multiple homeschooled kids, as well as public school students, has spoken well of the DO curriculum ever since my friend first showed it to him. He feels like it is the best homeschool math curric he has seen.

However, no one expected him to actually get choked up tonight during their first session with the precalculus material. As he paged through it, he repeated several times, "This is so great." Then needed a moment to compose himself.

I loved this story, lol. I feel like he would be right at home on the board, debating the math options, lol!

• Like 21

My DD12 loves DO. Hearing his voice on the videos is "soothing" to her. Even my 7 year old likes to hear it, so she sometimes asks big sister to watch the videos without headphones just so she can overhear it!

I'm more than a bit cranky with Mr. Owens over his lack of chemistry as an option.  DD took Physical Science in 8th, is taking Physics in 9th, and...I'm going to really miss hearing Mr. Owens' voice in 10th! :laugh:

(Wes Callihan is similarly captivating, if you're in the market for a literature curriculum for mom your DC.)

• Like 3

I'm more than a bit cranky with Mr. Owens over his lack of chemistry as an option. DD took Physical Science in 8th, is taking Physics in 9th, and...I'm going to really miss hearing Mr. Owens' voice in 10th! :laugh:

(Wes Callihan is similarly captivating, if you're in the market for a literature curriculum for mom your DC.)

Right?! How hard would it be for him to produce a chem course? Of course, I'm joking...but ITA with you.
  • Like 3