Menu

Why the football madness?

creekland

I haven't experienced that same level of devotion in any other city I've lived in. Sure, some people have Texans jerseys, but it's not like the whole city dresses in blue and red on Sunday. I think this is partially because all the Pittsburgh teams are black and gold: the Pens and the Pirates as well as the Steelers. In Houston some teams are red, some are orange and the Astros have flipped back and forth. It's just not the same as having all your teams color coordinated.

***cough***    Denver    ***cough***

People wear jerseys to church.  Yes, yes they do. 

• Like 2

No, the man who died was 57, not 73. Brain injuries such as concussions, especially multiple concussions are linked to suicides.  Do I know for sure that he would have still committed suicide if he had never played football?  No.  But I think noting the football and especially what his position was- quarterbacks are a lot less likely to get a concussion.

I should add though that we love kayaking, swimming, hiking, and skiing...not competitively but really enjoy the activity, and we do watch skiing, snowboarding, rowing, etc. when the Olympics is on...tunnel bear for the BBC of course because the American media drama taking the place of seeing events is really aggravating.

Same here with using Tunnel Bear to watch the Olympics - or America's Cup for hubby.  US coverage of the Olympics has to be the worst in the developed world.

That might be one reason I don't care to watch sports on TV - way too many commercials.  We fast forward commercials from regular TV programming.  I chuckle at how the advertising world has convinced people to tune in to the Super Bowl just FOR the commercials.   :lol:  Advertising folks have so much influence over so many.  The best class I ever took in college dealt with the psychology of advertising.  It should be mandatory for all students - in high school.  One can still fall for sales gimmicks afterward, but at least there's a part of the brain that knows what is going on!

***cough***    Denver    ***cough***

People wear jerseys to church.  Yes, yes they do. 

They do here in South Central PA too.  Choices are usually Ravens, Eagles, or Steelers.  We live relatively close to all three so it seems many pick a side.  I don't give a hoot about any of them and can't even name a single player from one of the teams, but I'm proud of myself that I can at least remember their nicknames and who is in which city.  ;)  I imagine I couldn't come up with half the teams (overall) if my life depended upon naming them, but I have three down.

When our school has a "Favorite Team" day (meaning professional sports), I end up having to wear one of my college sweatshirts.

No, the man who died was 57, not 73. Brain injuries such as concussions, especially multiple concussions are linked to suicides.  Do I know for sure that he would have still committed suicide if he had never played football?  No.  But I think noting the football and especially what his position was- quarterbacks are a lot less likely to get a concussion.

If he was 57, he couldn't have been on the '61 team.  No college accepts players in their diapers.  ;)  (Someone who is 57 would have been born in '59 or '60 pending their birthdate.)  I suspect a typo somewhere - either in your post or in what you read about it.